Lounger
    Thanks

Class not registered error

I'm trying to install Alive Text to Speech by AliveMedia on an HP Pavilion dv6 Windows 7 machine. It appears to install correctly but when I try to use it to "speak" a text, I get the Windows 7 error "Class not registered" error box. It does not give a hint as to what is not registered (probably a dll) so I can't try to register it by regsvr32 command (I know how to do that). Of course I've uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller, reinstalled, all to no avail.

So far I've not gotten a response from AliveMedia tech support but thought maybe one of you guys or gals could give me a clue as to how to solve this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you disabled your anti-virus solution during installation?

Have you tried installing in safe mode?

Are you using "run as administrator" when you start the install?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not disabled AV nor installing in safe mode yet, but those are good suggestions. I do most of my installations as "run as administrator" since I've found that solves a lot of installation problems. I'll try safe mode and disabling AV during installation.

I'm also running into difficulty with another text to speech program, Spesoft, so I'm wondering if there's a Windows piece missing for converting text to speech.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe

Doug

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running the program in 'compatibility mode' for Windows XP because that was the operating system in use at the time the application was released.

In case you don't know how to go about that, right click the desktop shortcut to the program and go to "Properties". Then click the "Compatibility" tab and in the menu, checkmark the box called "Run this program in compatibility mode" and then choose "Windows XP" from the dropdown menu.

You should of course disable any AV file scanners when installing apps from bona fide sources since these interfere with the installation. If you use AVAST, right click the orange icon in systray, go to "Avast Shields Control" and choose to disable all shields for one hour.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried installing in XP compatibility mode and then running the program in compatibility mode all "run as administrator", installing in safe mode and neither program works, still saying "Class not registered" when trying to run either of them.

Could it be there a Windows API or other call to a Windows function that is not installed or registered correctly?

DOug

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Isn't there anything in the Event Viewer -> Applications that could shed some light on what is happening?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The NC Doc View Post
    I'm trying to install Alive Text to Speech by AliveMedia
    Which version? The oldest is nine years and many were not even Vista-compatible.

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried installing in XP compatibility mode and then running the program in compatibility mode all "run as administrator", installing in safe mode and neither program works, still saying "Class not registered" when trying to run either of them.

Could it be there a Windows API or other call to a Windows function that is not installed or registered correctly?

DOug
    I don't think you're going to get it to work in Windows 7 because if you check the history for it, you'll see that the last release took place in 2007 and enabled the program to work in Vista: http://www.alivemedia.net/history_textspeech.htm

You could try doing the same thing I suggested already i.e. run it in Vista compatibility mode. You don't have to install it again by the way: just right click the existing shortcut and choose Vista in the Compatibility tab.

There are a couple of alternatives here: Text To Speech engines

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried both installing and running the program in compatibility mode and it still doesn't work. In the Event Log it shows The application and Text to Speech.exe on one line and KERNALBASE.dll on another line with just hex numbers on the other lines.

I think that it will not work in Windows 7 even though AliveMedia is still selling the program, but will not respond to support questions.

I am going to take another tact and see if I can find another Text to MP3 program in the proper Lounge area.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Doug

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried one last thing that may have given me the answer. I logged on as Administrator, changed the Spesoft installer program to run in compatibility mode, installed it with "run as administrator". The installed Spesoft exe was marked to run in compatibility mode. When I tried to run it, it gave the message, "Speech API not installed". After a couple of searches, I found that there is supposed to be an item in the Control Panel labeled "Speech", but it was not there.

I am going to try to find out how to get the Speech API installed. Any ideas?

Doug

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 includes a Text to Speech program called Narrator at Start, All Programs, Accessories, Accesssibility. Couldn't that do whatever you need?

You should also have a Control Panel item called Speech Recognition which includes a link to Text to Speech setup options.

Hear text read aloud with Narrator

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    My goal was to get text to an MP3 file so I could listen to it on my MP3 player as I drove to and from work. I didn't see that capability in Narrator. I'll look again. I did some research on Text to Speech and Windows 7 64 bit and found that the 64 bit Speech version is not compatible with 32 bit applications. There is an SDK out to allow programmers to use it the 64 bit in program development for 32 bit applications, but that's a lot of bother so I'm going to look elsewhere for a newer program.

Thanks for all your input.

Doug

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My goal was to get text to an MP3 file so I could listen to it on my MP3 player as I drove to and from work. I didn't see that capability in Narrator. I'll look again.
    I don't think it's there. I was going to correct my post quickly when I realized you'd mentioned MP3, but the lounge forum became unavailable for a few hours right around then.

Bruce