2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

External hard drive and USB port

Hello -

I will be buying an external hard drive but my Win XP Pro;’s port is USB1. I notice most external drive’s ports are B 2 and up. Will I have a problem???

(Windows XP Pro)

I will be using LapLink DiskImage software. I will be using this as a safety - don't anticipate adding info to it or, if so, only programs. I only have 74.4 on C drive, which is more than enough (free space is 60GB)

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The short answer is yes. Take a look at:-

http://www.everythingusb.com/hi-speed-usb.html

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for responding.

The site is informative. Thanks again. It does state:
    'The vast majority of USB 2.0 devices will work on older PCs and Macs. None should flat-out fail unless there are other issues with the system.'

So-o, it seems that I will likely be ok with the 2 different sizes - slower, but ok. Am I missing something?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP supports USB from SP2 onwards. It doesn't matter which port you plug it into.

I have a Buffalo 500GB external HD drive and use it all the time in different ports.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Even tho I do not have 'enhanced' in the list for Universal Serial Bus controllers, do I understand correctly that I won't have any problems, other than slower speed?

Appreciate your input.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you upload a screenshot of the USB controllers in Device Manager?

This is what it should look like:

device_manager_usb_controllers.png

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win XP doesn't have any USB ports only your computer's motherboard has them. Maybe your motherboard / Laptop has Esata port it would be better to get an external drive with Esata connection.(most have USB as well). (Even better a docking station which you can use standard hard drives in and can be got with Esata and USB connections) but will need an Esata cable. This will work much faster than any USB except maybe USB3 .
    Can get many docking station here at Amazon.com
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-07-01 at 07:22.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    If your USB controller is not showing up in Device Manager as 'Enhanced' you need to go to the motherboard manufacturers web site & download & install (update) the MOBO (Motherboard) driver software.

It may be as easy as clicking on the controller in device manager & clicking on 'UPDATE'. (Must be online for it to work) With any luck it will find the software driver. If not, go to the MOBO web site & find the MOBO model & D/L the drivers.

XP has had USB2 support since SP2 was released. If your still running SP1 you should install SP2 & ALL the security patches, as a matter of urgency. SP1 has more security holes & problems than you can poke a stick at!! While your at it, if you don't have it or you have other AntiVirus,.. install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft ONLY. Your XP must be a valid copy)) as well. You don't need any other firewall or Antivirus. (must not install or have any other installed AV). MSE does it all & way better!
    Last edited by huntsman; 2012-07-05 at 00:29.

Thanks
    If I needed USB3 compatibility for my own XP-Pro-SP3 computer, I would just plug in a USB3-PCI add-on card.

I just Googled it and found a lot of PCI and PCI-Express USB3 cards for under $30. They range from two ports to four ports.

I just needed MORE USB ports, not faster ones so I plugged in a VIA brand five port card. I did have to install the drivers
    for it, it's not Plug-n-Play.
    The fifth port is on the front of the card, inside the PC. I have a 16 gig flash drive plugged into that port, for an invisible
    backup drive. It works great.
    Then I use a batch file to backup all my data files to that drive, daily, weekly, or whenever I need to.

By the way, SATA III hard drives work just fine on a SATA II motherboard, albeit at SATA II speeds.

Doing Whole Drive backups to a USB external drive does work, but it can be painfully slow.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool And XP SP3, too

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    XP has had USB2 support since SP2 was released. If your still running SP1 you should install SP2 & ALL the security patches, as a matter of urgency. SP1 has more security holes & problems than you can poke a stick at!!
    And then it would be time to install XP SP3, as well!