3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat hard drive for Toshiba laptop C65

Hello! I would like to reformat the hard drive of my Toshiba Satellite C65 laptop, 64 bit, Windows 7. I've accumulated a lot of junk and would like to start fresh and stay streamlined. I know the drive is partitioned (2 primary and 1 recovery). I have saved all my files and am prepared with all the programs I will need to reinstall. I was not sent a Win7 disk but I did create recovery disks. I am out of warranty and do not want to pay $50/hr to Toshiba for an answer. I've Googled for an answer but just can't seem to zero in on what I need to do. I'm ready to wipe it all out and start over but a little tentative about downloading a program to literally wipe my disk as I'm afraid I will not have what I need to reinstall the OS. Will I need a Win7 disk? Please let me know if there is any other information I need to give you. Thanks!

Thanks
    You could download a copy of the the Windows 7 ISO of your current flavor, burn it to DVD, then use that to both format all partitions and start a clean install. You should then, in theory at least, be able to plug your product key and have it successfully activate.

Search: Lifehacker for the W7 ISO, and burning instructions.
    As usual, ensure that you have a recoverable image of all your current partitions and OS.

Make certain you have all the current Toshiba drivers that you will need prior to beginning.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-06-28 at 23:51.

Thanks
    The download link for Win 7 including SP1 is here. You would have to updates anything after this ISO file was created.

To burn the ISO file to DVD simple Right Click the file and Choose Burn File to Disk.

I do have to second Clint's suggestion to make an Image of the partition prior to deleting it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, after I posted my request I found information on how to reformat my C drive (without erasing the partitions) using the four recovery disks I had made. All seemed to go well, except the process didn't ask me to use the fourth disk. Regardless, everything appeared to install normally. Now, 48 hours later, I am getting a messsage that I am not running a valid Win7 program and am being prompted to buy one. The laptop came with the programs pre-installed (typical today, I know), and I was not provided with a product key. I haven't tried to contact Toshiba again but I'm thinking I should to see if I can get them to give one to me. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Call MS. They are generally very accommodating. The linked site explains the procedure a the last link should help you to reactivate.

I would imagine what happened was the original key was an OEM key.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You'll need your original product key or you will end up having to purchase it again if not found.
    Majic Jelly Bean or SIW will retrieve it from the registry for you, but this should have been done in advance of the format and reinstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I don't know what happened, but my laptop went through a couple more automatic updates that worked and it seems to have righted itself around. Not sure how, but I learned a couple of things for the next time I have to reformat. I'm just glad it's running normally now. Thanks for your prompt input!

Thanks
    For future reference, there should be a Windows sticker on the bottom of your laptop that contains your Windows Product ID.