New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem updating web pages

I have a desktop and a laptop. I use the desktop to maintain two web sites I have operating. However the desktop is now grinding to a halt so I have decided to transfer the web site maintenance to the laptop and reload the desktop. The laptop in relatively new and uses Windows7 and Browser 9.0

Obviously this is not something that I would not have expected to create a problem, but it has done. In summary this is what happens:

The first time I used the laptop it was to upload a photo album. I created this initially with 10 photos I received and this all worked well. The next day I received further batch of photos and added these to the album and reload it. This is the point where I get the problem. Having loaded the revised album I accessed the website on line to check it out and found that the album displayed as it was before the upload in that there were only the 10 photos. I then tried doing the update again several time but it made no difference. So, I accessed the website using my desktop, which fortunately I hadnít started reload, and found that the web site displayed the page exactly as it shoud be. This is also the case if I use my mobile phone. So, clearly, it would appear to be the laptop itself that is causing the problem. I did some further test and found that the same problem occurs if I update an existing page.

That is a summary of the problem. I can fiddle as much as I like, for instance I cleared the cache, but I havenít been able to fix it. However, the strangest part of all is if I leave it for a length of time, it corrects itself. In the case of the photo album I spent virtually the whole of an afternoon trying to solve it without any success, but the next morning, when I started to look again I found that it was ok. This has happened every time the problem occurs.

I know this must sound crazy and impossible, but it isnít. This is exactly what happens. So, I would appreciate and comments or suggestion anyone may have.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try clearing the cache and cookies: http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

Thanks
    That sounds like a problem with caching on the server side.

Many high traffic sites distribute their load by replicating content, especially images, onto multiple servers for performance reasons. This can result in delays when changes are made before everything gets synced.

Does your provider give you the ability to initiate a cache refresh after changes are made, or give you a publish option?

Also, if you are checking your changes via a search engine, they also will cache content and may not retrieve the current content until their bot retrieves the current page (often hours later).

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Jock. I initially did think that the server could be the problem. However, on the basis that immediately after I have uploaded an amendment it displays correctly when I access the site on line using my desktop or even my mobile phone. The only time it doesn’t display correctly is when I use my laptop, which is the one I used to make and upload the amendment.

As have already mentioned if I wait long enough it seems to correct itself. I don't know the exact delay time but if I check the day after it is usually there.

Alan