New Lounger
    Thanks

Restore Windows 7 64 Theme

Several weeks ago, HP was remotely troubleshooting a problem installing their printer software and when they were finished, I no longer had the theme as it looked when 7 was installed. For that matter, they weren't able to fix their problem either, but that's another story.:-)

I neglected to try the Restore function at that time and I would have to go too far back to do it now without messing myself up big time.

I tried the Aero theme from the page which gives the theme options and this did not help.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reinstall or repair without changing anything else but the theme.

Would be very appreciative if this could be accomplished but I can live with what I've got if it means losing some or all of my content which I have now on my computer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click a blank part of the desktop and go to "Personalization". Under "Aero Themes" choose the one called "Windows 7". That's the default theme.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Xircal For This Useful Post:

jaystarter1 (2012-06-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You xircal. Busy time of year but I always respond.

I tried your suggestion and it didn't replicate what was there initally. The Tool Bar was a shiny green color which was barely transparent.

When hovering on the icons on the left of the Tool Bar, they popped up with a tiny image of whatever was open on the desktop. now they come up with the title showing but no image of the open window(s).

The Tool Bar is now a light gray or bluish gray. The pop ups are a either a medium bluish gray or gray depending on whhether it's the IE Explorer icon or the Outlook icon or the icon for any other open window.

I hope I haven't confused you with my rambling.

HP didn't do me any favors on this one. One person told me he would restore it. Another said it wasn't his problem because it didn't pertain to the HP software.

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try creating another user account and then if the theme appears as you want it, to transfer that to the account you're logged in with now.

There are instructions on how to do that on this site: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sh...ers-windows-7/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win7 PC with three user accounts, all administrators. The one my wife uses unaccountably (pardon the pun) switched from Aero to non-Aero (all the buttons are flat and there's no transparency). The other two accounts still have Aero running. I tried selecting an Aero theme in my wife's account and got an error message to the effect of "Cannot install under the current theme." Anyone got a suggestion on getting Aero back in her account?

Cheers,

Will

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keffdoak View Post
    I have a Win7 PC with three user accounts, all administrators. The one my wife uses unaccountably (pardon the pun) switched from Aero to non-Aero (all the buttons are flat and there's no transparency). The other two accounts still have Aero running. I tried selecting an Aero theme in my wife's account and got an error message to the effect of "Cannot install under the current theme." Anyone got a suggestion on getting Aero back in her account?

Cheers,

Will
    Run the Aero troubleshooter. See this article: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...ble-aero-peek/