2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lock or prevent changes to a PowerPoint presentation

Hi To All,

I am running .ppt 2003, and have a presentation that I want to forward, but need to prevent unauthorized users from making changes to the .ppt file. This must be straightforward but has alluded me...any suggestions? Is the answer to merely use a tools>>options>>security>>pasword to modify??? This seems to simple and may not prevent an unauthorized user from modifying, (even temporarily) my file.

Thanks for your help....

Marty
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Marty,

Save it as a .pps file using the save as dialog.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Saving as a pps will not give any security at all! You can just rename it to .ppt OR right click >> New OR just use File > Open to edit the file.

Adding a modify password will give some security and prevent most from editing. An expert will be able to get in in seconds though.

If you don't need animation you could select everything on each slide , cut and paste special as a PNG. Each slide will then be a non editable image. (If you need to edit make sure you have a copy!)

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're not using animation and it is not necessary for recipients to view the file in PowerPoint, consider saving the presentation as a PDF file