Lounger
    Thanks

Email sending fails

I have Outlook 2010 connected to accounts at Google Apps and Microsoft Exchange. I receive emails fine, and send them fine most of the time. However, sometimes the programme simply refuses to send particular emails, and I can't work out why. A dialogue box opens up with the unspecific and unhelpful message: "The operation has failed", with no error code nor any further information. When sending fails to a given addressee, it fails with both the Google Apps and Microsoft Exchange accounts.

I have no trouble sending emails to regular contacts. So could this be something to do with security settings? Please advise!

I have AVG Internet Security installed, however Anti-Spam is disabled (I rely on Google Apps for that). The E-Mail Scanner component of AVG claims to be 'active', but appears never to have scanned a message. It tells me "E-Mail Protection Installed: Microsoft Outlook", but I can't find any such settings within Outlook itself.

Any help much appreciated!
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The email protection setting should be changeable from with AVG and not Outlook. If that situation happens again, maybe try to disable AVG's email protection and send the email again.

Thanks
    Check the size of the emails that fail, my ISP has a limit, when I exceed that limit it sends an extremely obscure error message. Took me several attempts before I worked out what was happening. HTH
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks both, but I'm not sure that's it. I can't disable AVG email scanner - it claims to be 'active' - but both 'scan incoming' and 'scan outgoing' options were always, and remain, unticked. The programme says 'total emails scanned: 0'. So it doesn't seem to be interfering, and there appears to be no way of turning it fully 'off' even if it were.

I don't think it can be email size to blame either - there haven't been any attachments. It failed again with a new contact just now, and the email was only a few lines of text.

I have 7 email accounts in Outlook, although I believe three are just proxies of my main MAPI account with Google, one Microsoft Live account, and a Yahoo account. When Outlook decides not to send to a particular addressee, it fails whichever account I try to send from. The problem does seem to have blown up since I added the Live account recently, although it wasn't instantaneous. Does this offer any more clues?

Thanks again,
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does that happen with original emails, or replies? I have had the odd situation where Outlook failed to send a reply that quoted the original message. In the few circumstances where that happened, I solved it by sending a new message, with no original message included.

Anyway, I can't rule out AVG. Email virus scanners sometimes do have weird consequences.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, now I'm getting somewhere. I deleted the Live account from Outlook, and the programme is now sending emails OK again. So everything works if I confine the Live account to webmail access - but that is a bore. Can anyone think why Microsoft Live might have this effect, and how to fix it?

Thanks again, again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I use the Hotmail connector without issues, so that's a definitively weird situation.
    What data file are you using as your default data file?