New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 8 Sucks up CPU cycles

Just having an IE 8 window open on some Web sites uses 90% + CPU cycles. On this site, as soon as I clicked on the Internet Explorer Topic, IE started using all my CPU. Once I clicked to post, the useage dropped to 1 - 2%. Yahoo pages do it and so do TechRepublic pages. I used Wireshark to look at the packet flow, and not much was happening between me and the sites that were eating my cycles. (I suspected it would be a stream of ads, but it didn't look like that was happening)

Does anyone have any idea what is happening or how I could fix it? Process Explorer doesn't show any child processes under the iexplore.exe that is using the cycles.

Thanks
    Ken

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using the "Fixit" on this site to see if it improves matters: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 8 Sucks up CPU cycles

IE still eating all my cycles. Poo. Fixit did not help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What OS? Please supply some hardware details.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using a different browser like Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

If you're using Windows XP, you only need to keep IE to access the Windows Update site since it needs ActiveX controls to run which aren't supported in any other browser.

If you have a later OS like Vista or Windows 7, you can update Windows manually via Control Panel and can therefore dispense with IE completely.

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-07-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517
    Between the weekend, and working all day yesterday on a down server, I am finally geting back to this.

Win XPpro sp3 patched up-to-date. Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium4 1.99 Ghz 2.00Gb Ram. HD=127GB, 53GB Free.
    It's slow by modern standards, but except for this IE8 problem it works just fine for managing the network here. I have multi-core PCs at home and they are not that much faster for the tasks I do here at work.

Xircal,
    I need IE for several Vendor sites. I am considering an alternative for other browsing though.

chower
    I had already tried that stuff, but thanks for the post.

Ken