Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    One thing I get hooked to this forum is the great detailed information and help, not to mention knowledge (and it's free!). And may I mention it is an 'adult' forum (I mean, civilized).
    Case study: Fred's detailed explanation here re backups by Windows, Acronis, and others. I'm confident that with knowledge learned from this forum, I can select the one backup method that suits me.
    @ Bob, I am now interested in making a WinPE disc just for comparison sake. I like Linux boot CD. I thought Linux boot CDs are usually low demand on hardware requirement. Maybe I am wrong. Nice to try it and learn a thing or two. I do agree Linux boot CD seems slower, for some reason. But then Linux-OS-on-CD (various Linux flavors) itself is pretty fast.
    Wonderful stuffs to play with and learn more.
    Hope you have a fast Internet connection and lots of patience! That's a 1.7GB download directly from Microsoft's servers. (Due to licensing restrictions, WAIK cannot be offered with commercial or free products.)

The WinPE environment, because it is Windows in miniature, can be much more flexible in terms of restoring files and folders, exploring archives and restoring to a different sized disk or partition or in a different location on the drive, among other advantages. Speed is only one bonus.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't use Acronis at any price, even if they paid me. I used it for many years, but versions and service since 2010 are absolutely terrible. My review & some comments are on:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R20M6NO648S3OG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005EJ2ICU&nodeID= &tag=&linkCode=

Lester

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ingber,

Sounds about right. EVERYBODY at Acronis is apologetic; it's just that NOTHING ever changes.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I might add Macrium Free 5.0 can access GPT drive partially. A 3TB USB drive can be the destination. But it cannot be the drive to be backed up. In that you need Macrium Pro version.
    Any drive bigger than 2.1TB will be GPT drive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123