Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland, UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Windows Media Player says 'Wrong Region' when playing a CD!

    Recently when I burn a CD-R or CD-RW disk and then try to play it back, Windows Media Player gives this error message:

    "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because the disc prohibits playback in your region of the world. You must obtain a disc that is intended for your geographic region."

    But that plainly isn't possible, as I have used these for a number of years, haven't imported anything, haven't moved etc etc. I have run a Troubleshooter, which found nothing, I ran FixIt which didn't solve it either. I have even just now fitted a brand new DVD/CD Disk burner thinking this might be the problem, but nothing changed.

    It's NOT a DVD (so I don't see why I should change the region in DVD Properties, which currently says 'No region selected'), it's a plain CD-R on which is a slide show with audio.

    The same CD-R will play in the VLC Player.

    Does anyone know what's gong on?

  2. #2
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Download VLC Player from here: http://www.videolan.org/

    Then right click the CD-R and choose to "Play with VLC media player".

  3. #3
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    The OP already states VLC works. He is attempting to get Media Player to work.

    Have you tried to select a region as default? Perhaps this is all that is needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  4. #4
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Have you tried to select a region as default? Perhaps this is all that is needed.
    WMP won't work because of DRM limitations. He needs to use VLC or another player which isn't constrained by these limitations.

  5. #5
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland, UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for suggestions, guys. Yes, I have got the VLC Player, and yes it will work in that. But my problem was, I was creating this slide show for a friend (who is a VERY novice computer user) and I didn't want to have to tell her that she would need to download a new media viewer with which to view it!

    I got round it by burning the slide show to a DVD+RW disk - and THIS would play on the Windows Media Player - without altering the default region! I was
    trying to find out why the same set-up wouldn't play the CD-R disk.

    What put me off changing the default region was you're only allowed 5 changes, and I didn't want to use one of those up unnecessarily. Plus the fact that it
    'might' have stopped me from playing a DVD that I received from, say, a friend in America. But I don't know if I could have done that, or not, but I wanted to
    keep my options open.

    I will try changing the region after I've exhausted all other possible solutions - but why will it play the said DVD+RW disk, with No Region selected (but not a
    CD-R)?

    And by the way, I tried playing the same CD-R disk in an old computer I keep as a reserve, and Windows Media Player played it with no trouble in that one!
    Last edited by Ian_G; 2012-06-30 at 12:22.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried the WMP DVD troubleshooter?

    Have you tried a system restore to a time when it was working correctly?

    Joe

  7. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_G View Post
    What put me off changing the default region was you're only allowed 5 changes, and I didn't want to use one of those up unnecessarily. Plus the fact that it 'might' have stopped me from playing a DVD that I received from, say, a friend in America. But I don't know if I could have done that, or not, but I wanted to keep my options open.
    Nice idea, but it doesn't work that way I'm afraid. The reason you have five options before the region code becomes set in stone is to allow PAL interoperability. This means you can play a DVD or CD which originates from another PAL system like PAL-M which is the one used in Brazil. So if you moved from the UK to Brazil, you could still use your DVD player over there provided you changed the region code. PAL uses 625 lines per frame at 25fps.

    The American system on the other hand is NTSC which runs slightly faster at 30fps but uses two frames each of which is 262.5 lines making only 525 lines in total. This would result in a grainy appearance if you were somehow able to run the DVD in a PAL player. Most of the time though, other constraints will prevent that.

    There are multi region DVD players available, but they're very expensive. Also, you'll need an NTSC compatible TV.

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland, UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Joe. Yes I tried WMP DVD troubleshooter - it didn't find anything wrong.

    I've made so many changes/updates to my system since I remember it working, that it's not feasible to do a System Restore (even if I could remember exactly when it last worked).

  9. #9
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland, UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for that Xircal. I don't profess to be very knowledgeable about video matters... it's quite a complex subject in its own right.

    One thing I'm not clear about is this: I know that (music) CDs do not suffer from DRM or playability problems from region to region (unlike DVDs) - but what if the CD (in my case a CD-R) is burned by a program 'AS' a DVD?

    You see I wanted this CD-R to be playable on a CD/DVD player on a TV, as well as on a computer. I have succeeded in doing this before and, as far as I remember, I had to burn it 'as' a DVD-PAL disk. But nothing seems to answer the question as to why my old (reserve, running XP) computer played the disk on WMP, but my much newer computer, running W7, won't.

    I tried updating WMP drivers as well, and was told they are up to date. But although, as I mentioned before, the CD-R won't play in WMP OR the DVD player on the TV, both players will play the disk when I record it on to a DVD+RW.

    Before changing to a CD-RW disk for testing my results, I wasted about 12 CD-R disks!

    To me, it's all a bit of a minefield, lol.

    PS. And before anyone mentions codecs - I have installed the K-lite mega pack, which did cure another fault I had experienced with the audio sound.
    Last edited by Ian_G; 2012-06-30 at 16:00.

  10. #10
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_G View Post
    Thanks for that Xircal. I don't profess to be very knowledgeable about video matters... it's quite a complex subject in its own right.

    One thing I'm not clear about is this: I know that (music) CDs do not suffer from DRM or playability problems from region to region (unlike DVDs) - but what if the CD (in my case a CD-R) is burned by a program 'AS' a DVD?

    You see I wanted this CD-R to be playable on a CD/DVD player on a TV, as well as on a computer. I have succeeded in doing this before and, as far as I remember, I had to burn it 'as' a DVD-PAL disk. But nothing seems to answer the question as to why my old (reserve, running XP) computer played the disk on WMP, but my much newer computer, running W7, won't.

    I tried updating WMP drivers as well, and was told they are up to date. But although, as I mentioned before, the CD-R won't play in WMP OR the DVD player on the TV, both players will play the disk when I record it on to a DVD+RW.

    Before changing to a CD-RW disk for testing my results, I wasted about 12 CD-R disks!

    To me, it's all a bit of a minefield, lol.

    PS. And before anyone mentions codecs - I have installed the K-lite mega pack, which did cure another fault I had experienced with the audio sound.
    Well, the short answer is to use a third party tool that works if the one supplied with the OS doesn't. The VLC player which you say works doesn't need any codecs.

    As far as WMP is concerned, I think you have to bear in mind that Microsoft is under constant pressure from the entertainment industry to prevent any possibility that their software can be used to copy protected content. They won't admit to it outright, but those constraints are there.

    I still don't understand though why you seem to insist on using a CD rather than a DVD? Most DVD players are designed for that format rather than CDs.

    As for burning, I use IMGBurn which is free: http://www.imgburn.com/

    They also have comprehensive online tutorials available: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

  11. #11
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland, UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    Well, the short answer is to use a third party tool that works if the one supplied with the OS doesn't. The VLC player which you say works doesn't need any codecs.

    As far as WMP is concerned, I think you have to bear in mind that Microsoft is under constant pressure from the entertainment industry to prevent any possibility that their software can be used to copy protected content. They won't admit to it outright, but those constraints are there.

    I still don't understand though why you seem to insist on using a CD rather than a DVD? Most DVD players are designed for that format rather than CDs.

    As for burning, I use IMGBurn which is free: http://www.imgburn.com/

    They also have comprehensive online tutorials available: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4
    Thanks for that Xircal. My reasons are as follows: As mentioned earlier, I was doing this project for a novice computer user, and wanted to give her a disk that she could play 'out of the box' without having to download any extra programs (which would be beyond her). Also, she was giving it to her daughter...

    The reason I was trying to use a CD-R instead of a DVD was that I have lots of blank CD-Rs AND they are considerably cheaper to buy than DVDs. And I just can't stand having anything that has worked and should work, but suddenly stops working for no apparent (to me) reason!

    Also, I'm constantly trying to extend my knowledge of computing and have found (in a lifetime of engineering) one of the best ways to do this is to rectify faults (oneself, rather than handing them over to a 'professional') as they appear and understand what went wrong. If nothing ever went wrong and everything always worked smoothly without fault, then I, for one, would have learned, and had to learn, an enormous amount less than I have already.
    Last edited by Ian_G; 2012-07-01 at 12:06.

  12. #12
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_G View Post
    Thanks for that Xircal. My reasons are as follows: As mentioned earlier, I was doing this project for a novice computer user, and wanted to give her a disk that she could play 'out of the box' without having to download any extra programs (which would be beyond her). Also, she was giving it to her daughter...

    The reason I was trying to use a CD-R instead of a DVD was that I have lots of blank CD-Rs AND they are considerably cheaper to buy than DVDs. And I just can't stand having anything that has worked and should work, but suddenly stops working for no apparent (to me) reason!

    Also, I'm constantly trying to extend my knowledge of computing and have found (in a lifetime of engineering) one of the best ways to do this is to rectify faults (oneself, rather than handing them over to a 'professional') as they appear and understand what went wrong. If nothing ever went wrong and everything always worked smoothly without fault, then I, for one, would have learned, and had to learn, an enormous amount less than I have already.
    A CD-R disc may appear to be cheaper, but considering they have a maximum storage capacity of only 700MB, in reality, they're a lot more expensive because a DVD equivalent can store up to 4.7GB's worth of data. DVD-RW+ is the easiest to record on and are also rewriteable.

    I'd suggest using up your old CD-R discs creating rescue discs for your system. They're ideal for that because you can install bootable Linux rescue systems on them. Always handy to have just in case something goes pear-shaped one day.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •