Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instalation

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Instalation

I am a novice looking for some advice a friend has been using a copy of windows for a period of time I have finally talked him into buying a genuine copy I have installed windows on a new computer but dont know much more than that when we put the new windows on his computer is it enought to just open computer and delete everything on drive c and d or do I need to download some program to a stick or cd to clean it out before instalation or is it actually simple enough that you dont have to do any of that I am aware of having to save anything that he wants to carry over. Remember i said novice so dont get to technical please and thanks ahead of time.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When installing Windows, you will be offered a choice of drives where to install, even if you have a single drive. At that time, you will have the option to format the drive. You can check steps 6 to 8 here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
    Y
    ou will go through similar steps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that was sure quick enough so essentially just run the Microsoft program analyzing if the computer can handle the the installation and just do a clean install is that correct?
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, and after choosing the clean install, when asked where should Windows be installed, just choose the current partition where Windows 7 non genuine version is installed and format it. The guide I linked to is a good one .
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-06-30 at 05:29.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks unfortunately I just reread it again and it is for an upgrade and i don't believe you can upgrade from a copy right? also will Microsoft allow you to go to their site and download their test to see if the computer is ready to run w7 when you are using a copy?
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It will work pretty much the same way. Just put the DVD into the computer, boot from it and start the installation process. The computer will be tested for readiness as part of the installation process and no changes will be made to the computer, unless it is ready.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You mean you can upgrade from a copy? So essentially installation is the same as it would be for a brand new computer? Am I understanding you correctly?
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the Windows version you bought, an upgrade install?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have not puchased anything yet until I get some info and suggestions and answers.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Since there is a version of Windows on the PC already, even though it is illegal, the upgrade media will work fine. Heck there is a well documented method, allowed by MS, to Clean Install from an upgrade version onto a brand new HD with no OS. Paul Thurrott reviews the 3 methods on his Win Supersite.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-30 at 07:01. Reason: additional info
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    A non genuine copy does not entitle you to buy an upgrade version, even if it is possible to install clean with an upgrade version - there is even a Windows Secrets Newsletter article on it: http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...-upgrade-disc/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay so which is it or am I just confused can we just buy an upgrade and use it or not and just do a clean installation?
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you buy an upgrade version and use it, the installation will proceed and complete without issues. It will be a license violation, though, as you do not have a legitimate copy of Windows to upgrade from.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2012-06-30)

Thanks
    I have ALWAYS bought Upgrade Media, and usually delete the original installation before installing the new OS using the upgrade media. Heck, one time I bought a new HD without an OS, installed it, inserted the Upgrade Media, and used the method discussed by Paul Thurrott to install Win 7. (Note: In Paul's article, the link to his original article on performing this install with Vista no longer works so I grabbed the steps from another article.)

Method Three Follow the article. When it comes to the link that does not work, these are the steps:

1. Boot up the PC with the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD disc media into DVD-ROM drive. Note: May need to change boot sequence or boot order of device in BIOS, and/or press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive.
    2. Follow the Windows 7 Install Wizard to install the operating system on the blank, empty and clean system.
    3. During installation, when prompted for a product key, DO NOT enter the upgrade version product key. Tip: This step is to prevent “Invalid Product Key” error. User can try to input the serial number to check if setup accepts the key. If it’s accepted, all the rest of steps can be skipped.
    4. Unselect and untick the Automatically activate Windows when I’m online check box during the installation process.
    5. After Windows 7 is installed, boot up to desktop, and manually enter the Windows 7 upgrade product key to activate online or activate via phone.
    Steps above, which is practically how to perform clean install with a Windows 7 full version media and product key, should work for some, if not most, users. On system that the system still does not accept an upgrade version product key, or face activation failure error code of 0xC004F061, try one or more of the following workarounds to get Windows 7 activated: Methods One or Method Two.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then we will have an activation issue correct so evidently I have not explained myself very well what I am trying to do is install a real version of w7. So lets please start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast