Star Lounger
    Thanks

Elderly laptop maintenance - BIOS battery ?

My wife's elderly laptop has been returned by our daughter as not functioning - "I'll just buy my own!". So Dad is potentially inheriting a laptop for the workshop.

It's a Toshiba Satellite 1730 - quite likely in the order of 10 years old.

Symptoms ; Power light comes on and after pressing the power on switch a number of times with different waiting periods it did come to life slowly; after two, perhaps three, reboots it did finally load XP, and functioned - clearly by modern standards slow, but all seemed to be working. I got the PC wireless card to link up with the router, but then found that most of the sites I was going to were rejected because of security certificate failure - I then discovered, by chance more than anything, that the BIOS date had gone back to January 2000, which would explain that. Unfortunately my reasonably intelligent son then came to join in and succeeded in losing the power to the machine and it wouldn't restart !

My diagnosis - am I correct in thinking that the BIOS battery is the likely cause? The reason I'm asking is that I do have a CD with dismantling instructions for this model and this battery is not mentioned nor do any of the pictures show it. There will be one somewhere, wont there ?

Many thanks for any help

Rob

Thanks
    I could only find this;http://www.ehow.com/how_6913807_repl...satellite.html
    I hope the link above helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Chowur - I'll try following that tomorrow morning and see if it helps; unfortunately there are many generations of the Satellite laptop, and mine I suspect is a pretty early one and seems to require a pretty vigorous dismantlement to get at anything.

Do I take it you agree with my diagnosis ?

Rob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BIOS battery failure will not prevent the machine running, but it will stop the clock keeping time - hence the year 2000.

Take the laptop battery out for a couple of minutes, put it back in and plug the external power in, then turn the lappy on. If it's still no good it will be replacement time - you should try to clean any data from the disk before retirement.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You will likely need more than just a BIOS bat replacement, if you can safely and easily get to it.
    Clean out any dust that may have accumulated over the years while you are inside.
    Restore to factory defaults if you have the original OEM install disk, if not you will need to go on a serious cleaning spree.