Lounger
    Thanks

How to discharge an HP Pavilion dv2116 battery

I have the HP Pavilion dv2116wm laptop runnning Windows XP with a new battery.

I ran the HP battery utility and the results were that the battery was fine but needed to be calibrated. The method described to do this was to fully charge the battery, then discharge it *outside* of Windows. The described method to do this was using the HP System Diagnostics which can be selected at power on *if it is installed on your laptop* and run the full harddrive test. My laptop did not come with this utility (called UEFI) and it is not listed as a download for this machine on the HP website. I'm thinking it would take a long time to discharge the battery if I just go into the bios setup and let it run.

So, does anyone know how I could start my laptop and run down the battery without loading Windows XP?

Doug

Thanks
    You could boot with a Linux Live CD:
    http://www.knoppix.com/

J
    erry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or you could just use the laptop as usual but let it run down till flat (don't connect the power lead). A couple of times of use till flat then recharging for full time should condition the battery for you. Of course this will take some time as the battery may last a long time between charges depending of use.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried using the laptop until the battery was discharged, but the computer shut down before the battery was at 0%. I'll try the Linux route next.