2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

suppressing a background (office 97)

When you choose a template for a presentation, is there any way to suppress the background graphic on one slide? Someone in my office has a presentation that she has posted a visio graphic into. To make the graphic a reasonable size it needs to overlap the graphic that the template uses. She would like to remove the background for just the one slide.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me if this is possible, and if so how you would go about doing it. I thought it would be on the format menu, but it doesn appear to be there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: suppressing a background (office 97)

I'll assume you want to eliminate any and ALL elements from the background (Read: Master) for ONE slide?

Short answer: no

Long answer: Paste a very low quality gray (or your choice of solid color) jpg on the slide (This keeps your file size down). Then stretch it to cover the slide/screen. Then paste your element on top of that. You may have to do some messing with send front/back to get other elements to show correctly (text, etc0

If, however you wish to only show that graphic then choose the "Blank" slide layout.

Hope this helps!!

Lounger
    Thanks

This works in PP 2000 - you could try it in 97 - right-click on the background of the slide, the menu should show a Background option - choose that, then check the Omit background graphics from master, choose Apply. This removes the background graphics from a slide, but leaves the background color. How well this could work might also depend upon what Design Template you are using.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What I do, in line with what Grant said but perhaps simpler, for ppt 97 is to create a shape in ppt and add some color to it. For example, you can add a rectangle which can be stretched to fill the entire slide, give a fill maybe of white, and make sure there's no border. If you're animating the slide, clearly you don't want to animate this rectangle. I think this would take up less memory than adding a jpg.

As far as omitting the background graphics, this does exist in ppt 97 (it's a check box at the bottom of the dialog). As Loren said, however, this does not eliminate the background color. The idea above would also take care of that.

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the ideas, I have passed them on. The master background was white with just a splash of yellow across each slide separating the title from the main part of each slide. I'm sure the suggestions offered will solve her problem.

Thanks

....but leaves the background color.
    --------------------------------------

You can also select a new colour for the background from this dialog box - note the Apply and Apply to all buttons. Apply will apply the change to the current slide only and Apply to All will apply to the whole presentation.
    If I am working with a group of slides - I will often select them from the slide sorter view and format the background in that view, that way I can work with a bunch at a time.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile