Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Not intrending to hijack this thread, but ruirib mentioned consent.exe, and I have been suspicious of that file recently. I have had very high HD activity that slowed my computer down, and when I checked Task Manager, I could see consent.exe at the top of the list for a brief time. When I enabled "show all users", I could see consent.exe showing through the dialog box ("Do you want to let this program change settings...) and the user column for it was blank. If I said no to the dialog box, consent.exe was not present in the Task Manager once the dialog box closed

Should I make this a separate post, and if so, in what forum topic? Sorry - hope this wasnt too rude - grasping at straws

Thanks, Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started this thread...no problem with you jumping in!

I tried lots of the suggestions here and nothing fixed the problem.

About 2 weeks after I stopped trying to fix it, it fixed itself....I assume the offending software updated itself or something.....

Quote Originally Posted by gpeyton View Post
    Not intrending to hijack this thread, but ruirib mentioned consent.exe, and I have been suspicious of that file recently. I have had very high HD activity that slowed my computer down, and when I checked Task Manager, I could see consent.exe at the top of the list for a brief time. When I enabled "show all users", I could see consent.exe showing through the dialog box ("Do you want to let this program change settings...) and the user column for it was blank. If I said no to the dialog box, consent.exe was not present in the Task Manager once the dialog box closed

Should I make this a separate post, and if so, in what forum topic? Sorry - hope this wasnt too rude - grasping at straws

Thanks, Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Shortly after reading this thread I came across a Nirsoft utility that might help debug this.
    They have a utility called WhatIsHang here:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/system_tools.html

I have never used it, but the description makes it look useful here.
    brino

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeyton View Post

Thanks, Gary
    Consent.exe is a legitimate system file that doesn't seem to behave properly, in some circumstances. I have found that it misbehaved when certain apps tried to automatically update themselves. The most notorious felon is Adobe Flash, but I believe all Adobe apps are responsible for it. Secunia, when the auto update option for apps is enabled, does it too.
    I solved my problem by stopping Adobe and Secunia automatic updates. I update all apps (but Chrome), manually. There are security risks to that, but this way the stupid consent.exe won't interfere. Of course, you could also disable UAC altogether, which would remove the need for consent.exe to run, but I personally don't like to do that, either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-02-15)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12