New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7: A task regularly removes icons on desktop

I think the Task Scheduler contains something that cleans desktop Icons that don't "appear" to have a connection.
    Every Sunday, between 1:55 pm & 4:00 pm, several icons referring to external drives, disappear if I'm not connected to my network at home. I have tried to identify which item is doing it, by looking back at the timeframe, but there is so much activity and no clue to what the tasks are doing.

In the past, I've tried to remember to run restore point before 2:00 and then run a restore when the icons disappear. Easier said than done. I'm visiting grandkids in Roanoke this week, and naturally, I didn't think to run the restore point, so now I have to wait until I get home, connect tomy externals, create shortcuts for them, and then change the icon to my desired viisuals. In the overall scheme of things, it's a small problem. But it's a real Pain in the you know where.

I have a SONY Vaio laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1.

Thank you,

Harris Guilmette
    Last edited by Harris Guilmette; 2013-02-15 at 09:57. Reason: add signature

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Sounds more to me like Desktop Cleanup - particularly if the icons disappear into a folder on the desktop...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Harris Guilmette (2013-02-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. No folder containing the icons, not even in the garbage folder. And

Thank you. No folder for the deleted icons, not even in the garbage dump. Desktop Cleanup does not appear to be in the task scheduler, and I don't know what specific file would generate it. I'll check again and keep looking, but I appreciate your response.