Thread: 3 Dailies

Banned Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb 3 Dailies

I know I have a paper I wrote in here somewhere called "Best Practises" w/ heaps of good stuff to follow.

Just thought I mention/remind that there are 3 basic things do to, @ least daily, that are suggested as minimum household chores:

1. Internet Options - Delete & Delete
    2. CCleaner
    3. Disc Clean 'on steroids'

Helps keep the machine humming along nicely.

And things like Windows Updates & MSE or WD happen, by default, @ night BUT, only if the machine is ON or Asleep. You may be screwing yourself if you keep shutting the machine off all the time.

Cheers,
    Drew

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-07-02)

Thanks
    Even when turned off, the updates show up first thing in the morning when I boot my PC so I don't miss much. I am also a firm believer in regular maintenance. Perhaps I have fewer problems because of this, who knows. Thanks for the reminder Drew.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm also a firm believer in maintenance, but like chaning the oil too often in a modern car, too much of a good thing can be, well, too much. I think daily is overkill. Can you share what you are basing all this on? #1 is a pretty good maintenance item, but no need to do it on more than a quarterly or monthly basis at most. #2 being a registry cleaner is purely subjective and widely open to interpretation as to the effectiveness of such tools. #3 is subjective as well. My rule of thumb is to leave about 20% free disk space and performance remains at its peak.

There has been much said over the years about the merits (or not) of shutting machines off at night. I've yet to find any compelling reason to waste electricity leaving any machine on when not in use. Windows Updates on my machines is Off and the service is set to Manual. I run them my self quarterly or so. A/V, no matter what you use, will simply update in the background. MSE especially has a very low footprint and has no noticeable impact on performance. I have not been "screwed" yet. And I've been shutting my machines off when not in use since the days of Windows 95.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I actually choose to delete all Internet files when I close the browsers. They are set to just keep the items I sign on to. I dump everything else. I do not want anyone to be able to see where I have been, even though I do not go "there". (I think we all know where "there" is, those undesirable sites)

My disk clean on steroids happens at power on. My Clean Up batch file is in the Start Up folder. I include the Disk Cleaner on steroids in the batch file.

CCleaner at least every couple of days. Perhaps this is overkill, but everything except CCleaner is automated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    As Doc Brown said, too much of a good thing can be detrimental. It all depends on the user. Cleaning out browser cookies and Temporary internet files can kill defualt log on options to some sites and or score histories for some games. I rarely clean out the browser files and haven't noticed any ill effects. Some of the CCleaner defaults will kill your least recently used files that will kill Word/Excel histories that some users find useful. I don't clean my disks whenever I get around to it, never sooner than monthly and my system is still zippy. It all depends on the individual user.

I also agree with Doc on shutting down the PC at night. Aside from the power savings, I like to start the day with a fresh load of the OS and recomend this to my clients as well.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I also agree with Doc on shutting down the PC at night. Aside from the power savings, I like to start the day with a fresh load of the OS and recomend this to my clients as well.

Jerry
    Hi Guys. You can add me to the vote on this also.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Pretty much all my colleagues agree & we will advise customers to leave machines on, asleep, maybe, but, powered. The amount of power being drawn is next to nothing, it is less than shutting down & restarting. Everything does not need to reload each time. Having a background in electronics (audio & broadcast) have always know/been taught it is best (for electronics) to leave things idle than go off & on. Auto tasks, by default, happen @ night. We have even addressed/discussed this @ conferences & seminars & bottom line, we advise clients to have machines sleep but, not off. Unless for maintenance or away for extended periods of time.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Power off is one of those issues that will never be resolved for all. No matter which side you take, you will find plenty of support both professional and armature. A lot of desktops I run into do not play well with Windows sleep. But, I wouldn't lose any "sleep" over whatever whatever works for you.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Just to liven things up a bit, I do none of the 3. I make a specific point of never, ever using registry cleaners.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I agree with Rui. I let Windows 7 determine when to defrag. I don't run any cleaning tools automatically. I never ever use a registry cleaner unless the system is exhibiting very strange behavior and then only after exhaustive manual debugging. I do periodically when the mood strikes and it seems that it has been a while selectively clean out files with disk clean.

IMO, whatever minimal benefit is obtained by a daily regimen is far outweighed by the potential for harm.

Joe

Thanks
    Amen to that Joe.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Having a background in electronics (audio & broadcast) have always know/been taught it is best (for electronics) to leave things idle than go off & on.
    Cheers,
    Drew
    If it works for you, and standby is certainly better than just leaving them at full power. At work we're using Faronics PowerSave to control shut down and boot up.

As you said, it was something taught years ago and still sticks even though it may not be all that valid anymore. My experience however has been that electronics are pretty reliable and resilient. I have several pieces of audio equipment that are pushing 28 years, a cassette player, an EQ, and a turntable. My CD player is from the early-mid 90s. I have a 12 year old Dolby 5.1 receiver. The last CRT TV that I had lasted far longer than I had hoped (I really WANTED an excuse to get a large LCD!) and I retired anyway before it died. Look at the electronics in cars and the extremes they are subjected to, and yet failures are pretty rare. I've had PCs that have lasted well over 10 years and have seen the same at places I've worked at. I've seen very few PCs retired due to completely failing.
    Chuck