Lounger
    Thanks

Can't customize Quick Access Toolbar

Every time I try to customize the Quick Access Toolbar in Word 2010, then click on OK, Word crashes with the usual reporting message. When Word restarts, the basic un-cusomized tool bar is now being displayed.

I exported my customizations from about 6 months ago and can import the old toolbar again.

I had modified the toolbar several times since I exported it and now I can't even get those changes made to make it like it was before the first crash today.

I have a lot of customizations to the toolbar and hate to have to re-create all of them, especially if it is going to happen again.

Anyone know of a fix for these crashes?

Doug

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    QAT customizations are stored in a .qat file or in the file: Word Customizations.exportedUI.

I've not heard of anything like what you are describing happening. When wierd stuff starts happening with Word, my first suspect is Add-Ins. Try starting Word with none loaded. With Word closed, under the Start menu click on the Run command. In the box paste the following and press Enter.
    winword.exe /a

If your customizations are stripped, try importing them again. What happens? What happens if you try to save customizations? If no problems, then an Add-In is your cause. Try disabling them all under the Developer tab and then enabling them one-by-one to see which is causing the problem.

Otherwise, see “How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002” at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    If all else fails, I would uninstall Office 2010 then reinstall it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    If all else fails, I would uninstall Office 2010 then reinstall it.
    Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 first. Reinstallation is a possible solution for some problems but for most it either doesn't help or makes things worse. If the problem is Add-Ins or a bad normal.dotm, reinstallation does not help at all.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Starting with the winword /a and trying to customize the toolbar caused a crash and I had to recover from my old Word Customizations.exportedUI.

Also I tried the Repair Office option under Add/Remove programs but still same problem. I am going to see if I can recreate my Normal.dotm file to see if it has a problem.
    Last edited by The NC Doc; 2012-07-04 at 09:50.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I find now that I can't even customize the basic QAT without a crash. For another check I tried Excel and it also crashes when trying to save QAT changes. The Event log for both give the defaulting module as MSO.DLL. I tried renaming the dll and then ran Office repair to get a new copy of the mso.dll, but the problem still occurs.

Before I completely uninstall Office, re-install and re-do all the settings, is there anything anyone else can think of to try?

Doug

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have finally solved the problem. The first time I tried to "Repair" Office, I used the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. That didn't work. Before uninstalling, I thought I'd see if I could re-install on top of the existing Office installation using the original installation disks. When I started the install process, it gave some complaints about not being able to install with the version of MSXML.dll I had. I had noticed that there was also a Repair option when starting the install process so I decided to try that. It took a while but when it was finished, I could customize my toolbar, and it even would let me import the toolbar that I had exported and I can modify it too!

Thanks to all who took time to respond. Hope this helps some other soul out there who may have this same problem.

Doug

Thanks
    Glad you worked it out.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin