Thread: VSS errors

New Lounger
    Thanks

VSS errors

I run a cloud backup program called IDrive, unfortunately after each scheduled backup, an entry in Event Viewer will show up, especially if I have any of the files or programs that I have set to be backed up happen to be in use at the time of the backup. See below:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VSS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 12293
    Date: 7/2/2012
    Time: 1:30:36 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: BM
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::IsVolumeSupported() failed with 0x8000ffff [hr = 0x8000ffff].

I've run Chkdsk /r thinking that there may be a hard drive issue...nope.
    I've tried to re-register some of the files associated with Shadow Volume Backup. No improvement.
    I've followed a few suggestions to delete certain registry entries that may have become corrupted. Still no fix.
    I've made sure that VSS service is set to automatic and and MS Shadow copy is set to manual. All with no change in the Event Viewer VSS error.

I also run Norton Ghost each day, but it doesn't trigger an event error at all (although I believe Symatec uses it's own VSS not Windows).
    IDrive Tech Support says it is a Windows issue not IDrive.
    All I know is that if a file is opened during the IDrive backup, it is not backed up at that time but will be backed up the next time, if it is closed before the next backup begins.

Any suggestions at this point is appreciated.
    XP Pro SP3 and all updates and patches.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have a "cloud backup program called IDrive" and a VSS Event Viewer Event ID: 12293 shows up
    IDrive Tech Support says it is a Windows issue not IDrive
    --- I have lost the link I had about similar situations but I remeber reading that 3rd party programs can cause that
    "especially if I have any of the files or programs that I have set to be backed up happen to be in use at the time of the backup"
    --- This could be because an open file cannot be backed up because it's considered in use

You run "Norton Ghost each day" each day without the problem you mention
    --- I suspect you are right - Norton Ghost essentially "accomodates" windows programs and accounts for VSS and I don't think IDrive does

"Volume Shadow Copy Service"
    --- You have an XP machine. Did you install the Volume Shadow Copy Service yourself?
    --- Do really need it?
    --- Are your Sytem Restore points holding ok?
    Check out http://www.ehow.com/how_5896924_inst...indows-xp.html
    --- Volume Shadow Copy is a component of the Windows operating system that helps to preserve and protect data loss on a network utilizing Windows Server 2003 or later. Volume Shadow Copy is automatically installed as part of your Windows XP installation, but if the file is somehow disabled or damaged, you can quickly reinstall another copy by downloading it from Microsoft
    --- Are you using Windows Server 2003 or later?
    --- This article states that "Volume Shadow Copy is automatically installed as part of your Windows XP installation"
    --- I don't know about that. I don't see VSS anywhere on the XP computer I'm checking out right now and I don't recall VSS being on any other XP computer I've seen
    --- I'm under the impression is available for XP but it's up to the owner to decide whether or not to install it

You are already saving your backups to the cloud with IDrive
    and Norton Ghost each day (Goes Norton Ghost save your backups to you hard drive or to an external hard drive?)

I wish my friends were as diligent as you for saving their data
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning something new depending on how you resolve this problem