Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Maddening BSoD problem

I have been tearing my hair out on this one - any hints welcome!

My Win7 PC has been BSoDing anywhere between once in four days and five times in a day. NirSoft's BlueScreenView reveals the error as KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR 0x0000007a, with no
    consistency as to any drivers or dlls being involved, so I can't blame a specific driver.

I've used two hard drives, both of which check out re SMART, SpinRite and chkdsk. I've swapped in and out five different SATA cables and used different motherboard headers, all to no avail.

RAM checks reveal no problems either.

I can provide more information, but didn't want to clog the first post in a thread up.

Anyone have any further ideas before I declare the motherboard suspect?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-24)

Thanks
    STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
    Usual causes: Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack
    The above list is in order, most common first; start with MemTest86+ http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html - 7+ runs, 11+ is better (this will take a long time, run it overnight or before heading to work).

Carefully follow the instructions here to collect data we can use to help troubleshoot, attach the requested zip back here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far.

Well...all drivers on the PC updated via Drivermax (though I realise that reverting to an older version might help).

The hotfix was not applicable to my system. The PC checks out on Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller, Hitman Pro and MSE as clean. MemTest86+ has already been run overnight with no errors.

I tried (not very hard, I admit) to get a BIOS update but couldn't turn anything up. Will try again.

***EDIT: BIOS update found and successfully applied***

In the meantime, those diagnostic files are attached.

Very grateful for any pointers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bogl; 2013-01-23 at 10:43.

Thanks
    I wouldn't be comfortable getting my drivers anywhere other than the computer's manufacturer, or in the case of a GPU driver, it's specific manufacturer.
    What I hope you have done is confirm that those driver downloads via DriverMax are the same as those being offered by the manufacturer of your computer.

Unless you computer is exceedingly antiquated, the best place to get drivers will always be with the original manufacturer, and not a 3rd party driver finding tool.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DriverMax implements signed drivers from manufacturer's websites - I've never had a problem with it, and it's also rescued me from some tricky situations, such as when a driver is very hard to identify or find. DriverMax has always turned it up. It's been very effective for me across a wide variety of machines. YMMV of course.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly the PC has BSoDed again since the BIOS update. So it ain't that

Thanks
    What has running in safemode revealed?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT, these are the kinds of suggestions I am looking for.

Eschewing audio & printing, I'm running the PC in Safe Mode with Burn-In Test v6 to see what that yields. I'll let you know. Any other hints welcome in the meantime.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    34 hours of Burn-In Test in safe mode: no errors detected, no BSoD.

So this seems to indicate a service/program/driver that is running that causes the BSoD. Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot further?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try going to sysconfig setting and starting up in clean mode i.e. untick all start-up items and reboot run for a while see if BSOD happens if it does not then Re tick each start-up item one at a time rebooting and testing on each one till problem happens that way you may find which start-up item causes the problem and fault find from there. will take a considerable amount of time but may be worth it to save having to clean re-install windows.

You could also unplug any external USB devices to see if BSOD stops if does plug each one in one at a time till find which one causes it. as it may be a faulty USB/device.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-01-26 at 07:31.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Try going to sysconfig setting and starting up in clean mode i.e. untick all start-up items and reboot run for a while see if BSOD happens if it does not then Re tick each start-up item one at a time rebooting and testing on each one till problem happens that way you may find which start-up item causes the problem and fault find from there. will take a considerable amount of time but may be worth it to save having to clean re-install windows.

You could also unplug any external USB devices to see if BSOD stops if does plug each one in one at a time till find which one causes it. as it may be a faulty USB/device.
    That's msconfig, not sysconfig. Actually a clean boot also involves going to the services tab, checking the box next to "hide all Microsoft services", and then clicking on disable all. Details for setting up Clean Boot and debugging the results are at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, both. A clean boot + BIT 6.0 has revealed nothing. I've now enabled key services and startup items (about 25% of what was enabled before, actually) and seeing where that gets me.

If, by any chance, anyone gets chance to look at those diagnostic files I posted above and see if they give any clues, I'd be very grateful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I fixed a BSoD just recently. Thought it was fixed by reseting the RAM. Oops, nope. Hmmm I wonder. R&R the processor and bingo. No more BSoD. Rare I'm sure, but worth a try.

While the processor is out make sure the heat-sink is clean, the fan runs, and you have heat transfer compound between it and the processor itself.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Syclone For This Useful Post:

bogl (2013-01-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Syclone: done all that bar top up the compound. It looked OK, but worth a go I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast