2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In words of one syllable...

Can someone please spell out in simple terms for Mr Average Joe here exactly what is Windows 8? All I seem to read is arguments about what I know as the home screen and how you’ll use your fingers to smear it, trying to find ‘apps’. So inAPPropiate.

I mean I use my Windows computer for desktop publishing (Quark Xpress) and video/picture editing (Adobe Premier and Photoshop). I also have an accounts program. From what I have been able to gather, I’m not a MS target any more because I’m not playing games, phoning someone, reading an ebook or taking a photo.

So will the software I’m using, and have had to upgrade in the past when new Windows came along, work with this latest version? Indeed, what’s in it for the non-techie, non-tablet, non-smart phone user?

Tim

Thanks
    It will work but IMHO, not significantly better than Windows 7 and you will probably spend extra time configuring Windows 8 to look like Windows 7. Others will have different opinions. I am advising my clients to stick with Windows 7 until they need new hardware. I'm still waiting for the Windows 8 killer app and someday someone will make a killer Metro app. Until then, I don't see any killer advantage to upgrading Windows 7 even at the $4o price, but for what its worth, I'm in the minority here.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2012-07-03)

Thanks
    Tim, you do not state which version of Windows you presently are using. If I can assume Win 7, and it works well for you running the apps you are using, then by all means stick with Win 7 for now. As Jerry states, when your hardware needs updating, then consider Win 8 Pro. (At this price I might just get enough copies to upgrade everything, but hold off for now, just a thought)

Jerry is probably flabbergasted that I did not say jump onboard the Win 8 Pro bandwagon! Come on admit it Jerry. You are using fairly specialized S/W for your business, and I do not know if this S/W is compatible with Win 8 Pro or not. I would definitely not jeopardize business to try to upgrade to a new OS. Also the driver issue is still present, especially if you have any specialized devices used in your business. At this time, the only certified Win 8 specific drivers that I have heard of are Nvidia Graphics Adapters. There are other drivers in beta, but no others certified yet.

I might however recommend that if you have a spare PC, you might want to install Win 8 RP to just try it with the S/W you use. I do not believe the time spent to customize Win 8 RP (and hence Win 8 Pro) is very time consuming. In a couple of hours you could have everything set up. You might find everything does work in Win 8 RP (and in Win 8 Pro) and you like the way tasks are handled quicker, resources are consumed at a slower rate, etc.

If your business is anything like many others, I have a feeling you will not be spending a lot of time in the Metro UI, but on the Desktop UI. With a little customization the Desktop UI will look and work similar if not identical to Win 7 with a couple of excellent additions. The Power User Menu is one such. We have discussed these differences in several other threads, so I will not go into them here.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-03 at 13:52.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2012-07-03)

Thanks
    Actually, the only incompatibilities I've personally run into are hardware related. I can't get my Windows 8 laptop to use the Hp laserjet printer attached to my desktop and I can't get to my Snaptics touchpad options to set the option I previously had to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is activated. I just disabled the touchpad completely.

Small business clients are a different issue. They don't have a lot of time to invest playing around testing a new OS if what they have works. A lot of them are still on XP and I have run into some major hardware and Software issues upgrading one of them to Windows 7.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you with the advice. I'll stick with Win7 until, I guess, it is no longer supported.

Tim

Thanks
    Like I said, Tim has not actually said what OS he presently uses. I think perhaps we both assumed Win 7. If I was dependent on my PC for making a living as Tim is, I would be very hesitant in upgrading to Win 8 Pro when it is released, especially without any prior use while still in beta. There could be both H/W and S/W issues to contend with. That's why I said perhaps setting up a spare PC to test his present H/W and S/W might be helpful in making a decision. I realize there may be time constraints in his business. That is another reason that I would not suggest upgrading at this time.

The biggest S/W incompatibilities seem to be with Graphics, Audio drivers and other ext. devices connected to the PC. Once we see more Win 8 specific drivers these should get much better.

edit: I see Tim must have posted his present OS while I was typing. I think holding off for now is the best course of action.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-03 at 14:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Tim never said he ran a business. But it's interesting that no one has proposed any real advantage in upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

I had not been that interested in upgrading, but for only $40 I may do it just to get a better File Explorer, Task Manager (and bragging rights ).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-07-03 at 19:41.

Thanks
    There were no advantages listed in this thread because for this member it does not seem practical. I believe in various threads there have been numerous references to advantages of switching. I believe this thread had a really good discussion on some of those. There are some advantages listed in this thread.

There really is no sense in rehashing all these advantages. The thing to remember is that each situation is unique. The OP's situation is that the timeframe spent setting up Win 8 in his situation might be prohibitive to his use. Whereas setting up a spare PC or a spare HD or even a spare Partition to spend a little time to learn Win 8 might pay dividends in the future.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

2¢ and W-8

Allow me a minute or two.
    Contrary to Jerry, I was able to get my old HP 6L operating in W-8, it was installed on running the DVD, no challenge !
    I have had on this last redo, no problem getting my video card seen, runs good at 1920 x 1080. It is an added PCI card.
    Also, and this is a good one, W-8 runs my Office 2K in toto. I use Word, off course, and quite a bit of Excel, every day.
    All this to say that W-8 is quite compatible with most anything, on my desktop anyway and it is no special machine.
    I will go W-8 RTM for sure as it is quite a bit snappier than W-7 and can be used exactly like its predecessor. Off the box. JP.

Thanks
    Many people have had good luck on older PC's with older OS's as well. Unfortunately it seems to be somewhat hit or miss whether it will work on these old PC's or not.

This however does not help the original OP. His needs are very specific. For him, trialing the Win 8 RP OS could lead to finding that his apps and devices do work well with Win 8 or don't work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clear up my position!! My background is newspaper publishing (using Quark) but, since quitting that, went freelance and now I'd class myself as semi-retired using my skills for voluntary work as well as the occasional commercial graphic designing.

So you could say I have time to experiment (on my one machine) but I don't have the patience or burning desire for it. I mean, I get stressed out enough jumping through hoops just trying to download POIs for the sat nav! What I'd want is REAL plug-and-play, just as with my car I don't want to learn how to change the oil filter.

Tim

Thanks
    Then Win 8 is most likely not for you. There is something of a learning curve, although this is relatively short. As stated, because of your unique needs I would not upgrade to Win 8 Pro without working with the beta for a while. I have no way of knowing if your apps and devices will work with Win 8 Pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted