Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What makes 'Restore Previous Versions' fail?

LANGALIST PLUS

What makes 'Restore Previous Versions' fail?

By Fred Langa

Win7's Restore Previous Versions system is designed to automatically back up your PC and let you easily recover earlier versions of almost any file or folder.
    But some faulty configurations can prevent RPV (and related systems such as System Restore) from working as they should.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/what-makes-restore-previous- versions-fail/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    re: Store Yahoo Web e-mail in local folders
    I keep backups of my inbox on Yahoo mail using Outlook, which can be set up to download messages from Yahoo Mail. Without cost. There are instructions in Yahoo Help for how to connect to the server, but the illustration below give you the main idea. Use pop.mail.yahoo.com as the incoming mail server and the name of your ISP's SMTP server as the outgoing mail server. I'm not sure if it can also back up other folders in addition to the main inbox. Outlook also downloads all the spam messages that Yahoo normally diverts into your Spam folder.

My Outlook settings look like this:

OutlookforYahooMail_2.jpg

Another solution is the free Mailstore Home, which does allow you to back up messages from all your Yahoo folders, although you have to point it to each one manually. I stopped using it because, unlike Outlook, when it downloads the messages in a folder, it leaves them on Yahoo flagged as read. That's inconvenient for me, since there are lots of messages on Yahoo that I want to keep flagged as unread, either because I haven't read them yet or I want to keep them highlighted.

Be careful of one thing. When setting up Outlook, Mailstore Home or whatever mail backup program you choose, be sure to us the setting saying you want messages left on the server; otherwise, you will back up your messages on your computer but leave your Yahoo mailbox empty. I did that once and, in order to restore my Yahoo mailbox, had to upload a tonne (I'm a metric Canadian) of messages.
    Last edited by DavidToronto; 2012-07-05 at 08:24.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Confusion abounds since it is not strictly endorsed by Yahoo, but the not-so-secret trick to getting free POP access to Yahoo Mail is that you have to set your Yahoo Mail locale to Asia. This is done in the "Set language, site, and time zone" section of your Account Options, next to Regional Site and Language. In theory, any non-US option will enable free POP access, but I only got it to work using Yahoo Asia.

I made this change years ago and have had basically zero problems ever since, aside from a very minor snag in GMail's import settings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kehander View Post
    Confusion abounds since it is not strictly endorsed by Yahoo, but the not-so-secret trick to getting free POP access to Yahoo Mail is that you have to set your Yahoo Mail locale to Asia. This is done in the "Set language, site, and time zone" section of your Account Options, next to Regional Site and Language. In theory, any non-US option will enable free POP access, but I only got it to work using Yahoo Asia.

I made this change years ago and have had basically zero problems ever since, aside from a very minor snag in GMail's import settings.
    This violates Yahoo's Terms of Service. You are spoofing your location to bypass the ban on POP access for free Yahoo Web Mail Accounts.

@DavidToronto -- What you do can only be done if you have POP access to Yahoo Mail. This should only be possible with a paid MailPlus Account.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-05 at 14:46.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Yahoo does NOT alllow YPOPS.

Before you use YPOPS, READ THIS:

"As far as we know, YPOPs! does not violate the Terms of Service of Yahoo! Mail. But we are not lawyers. As far our interpretation is concerned, the ToS is between Yahoo and the end user of Yahoo (i.e., you) and not any intermediaries like YPOPs!, so YPOPs! does not have to necessarily abide by the ToS. But we are not lawyers. If you believe that YPOPs! goes against the ToS of Yahoo Mail, please DO NOT USE YPOPs!"
    (http://ypopsemail.com/documentation/...-ypops-license)

This is not an encouraging statement, and reads more like obfuscation than information. By their own admission, YPOPS does not abide by the Yahoo Terms of Service. Yahoo email ToS used to expressly forbid using proxy servers to bypass the ban on POP access to its free email services. You could have your Yahoo account terminated and be sued for violations. It happened to people who did things like this.

YPOPS and similar workarounds for Yahoo's ban on POP access to free Yahoo web mail accounts, work by using proxy servers to bypass the Yahoo technologies meant to prevent POP access. This type of proxy use is expressly forbidden in the Yahoo Terms of Service.

I am not a lawyer, but I do pay for Yahoo POP access. I do not do this merely for convenience, but because of my interpretation of the Yahoo ToS regarding proxy services.

YouTube Throttling

The usual reason that folks who (theoretically) have adequate bandwidth still experience jerky playback (buffering) with video streams from non-paid services (like YouTube) is that ISPs prioritize network trafic, especially DSL traffic. Depending on the type of traffic (they can detect video streams) and its source, the ISP may interrupt the stream to allow higher priority paid services to get their traffic through with minimal disruptions.

Nothing the end-user can do will change ISP policies about throttling. You either live with it, or download the videos as outlined in the article for later playback. Either way, watch out for monthly ISP bandwidth usage caps.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-06 at 10:39. Reason: Yahoo Terms are no longer explicit about proxy access.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    You are spoofing your location to bypass the ban on POP access for free Yahoo Web Mail Accounts.
    "Spoofing"? Spoofing implies the sophisticated alteration of one's IP packets to make it appear as if they are originating from another network address. This is not spoofing; this is toggling an option in one's account settings, and if Yahoo wanted to put a stop to it, they could do so easily. If there is something in the Yahoo ToS requiring you to be honest in one's selection of Regional Site, I'd like to see it.

Also, "ban"? In what sense have they "banned" POP access for free Yahoo Web Mail accounts? They have banned nothing; they have simply granted free POP access to those with a particular Regional Site configuration.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto View Post
    I keep backups of my inbox on Yahoo mail using Outlook...
    So do I with Thunderbird using the settings in the attached image.

I also save my mails into a personal folder in my D: partition and backup them with the rest of my data so I can still use them in my notebook while traveling and have no Internet connection. It's as simple as synchronizing folders - I'm a happy AlwaySync user.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hegohaize; 2012-07-09 at 05:16. Reason: proper formatting (quote)

Thanks
    "You also agree to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Yahoo! Service's registration form (the "Registration Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or Yahoo! has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Yahoo! has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Yahoo! Services (or any portion thereof)."

(http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html)

Selecting Yahoo Asia does not conform with this reporting requirement. People have been terminated for choosing Yahoo Asia when their actual location is not in Asia.

Yahoo does not speciically mention proxy services in their Legal or Terms of Service anymore.

What they do state is a requirement to access and use Yahoo POP3 access and forwarding services:

"4. YAHOO! ID AND YAHOO! WALLET REQUIREMENT

To subscribe and use POP Access and Mail Forwarding, you must have a Yahoo! ID, Yahoo! Mail account, and a Yahoo! Wallet. If you do not have a Yahoo! ID or Yahoo! Wallet, you will be prompted to complete the applicable registration process. (see http://wallet.yahoo.com/)"

(http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo...sstos-299.html)

The clear implication is that, under Yahoo's Terms of Service, free access to Yahoo POP3 servers is not permitted.

This requirement is not met by any proxy service operating outside of Yahoo.com.

IMAP access is explicitly intended for use with phones and mobile devices, so no argument that IMAP access allows free email client downloading of Yahoo email would hold any weight legally if Yahoo determines a violation of its Terms of Service has occurred and terminates an account.

Again, I am not a lawyer. I just don't want Mr. Langa's advice to result in lots of trusting readers getting banned from Yahoo Mail and services. I personally prefer to play it safe and pay my bills with Yahoo MailPlus. POP3 is not the only benefit to the paid upgrade, for what it's worth.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can back up your Yahoo e-mails by setting up Thunderbird to access your account using IMAP. Instructions can be found here: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_backup_my_yahoo_mail.html. In Thunderbird's File menu, select Offline, then Download / Sync Now, and all your email will be downloaded. If you install the portable version of Thunderbird on a thumb drive, that's where your e-mail will be saved.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have your Yahoo account terminated and be sued for violations. It happened to people who did things like this.
    Which users got sued by Yahoo and for what?

Bruce

Thanks
    Originally Posted by bobprimak
    You could have your Yahoo account terminated and be sued for violations.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Which users got sued by Yahoo and for what?
    Bruce
    That you can be sued for damages in addition to having your account terminated is stated repeatedly in Yahoo's Terms of Service. The crime is Theft of Services, as applied to stealing the paid services through the use of proxy services to circumvent the requirements for using POP Access, as I posted these Terms (Post #8, Item 4 -- Yahoo Wallet Requirement).

Again, I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-12 at 14:28.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That you can be sued for damages in addition to having your account terminated is stated repeatedly in Yahoo's Terms of Service.
    Yahoo's Terms of Service don't use the word "sue" even once. They only mention "damages" when claiming they will not be responsible for yours.

The crime is Theft of Services, as applied to stealing the paid services through the use of proxy services to circumvent the requirements for using POP Access, as I posted these Terms (Post #8, Item 4 -- Yahoo Wallet Requirement).

Again, I am not a lawyer.
    I can't see the FBI or Yahoo being too interested in having someone arrested and charged when they could say "Well, I'm sometimes in Asia" or "I was thinking of going there."

But my real point was that you said people have been sued by Yahoo for similar actions. So my question is, "Where are they?" (Not third-party speculation, Shirley?)

Bruce

Thanks
    We are getting off-topic with speculations about what is or is not in Yahoo's terms of service, and any speculation about what Yahoo has done or reserves the right to do to enforce those terms.

The original point I wanted to make is that by their own admission, YPOPS does not conform with Yahoo's Terms of Service, and this was posted as a quote from the YPOPs website in my Post #5 in this thread.

As for not providing accurate information in order to get POP access, I am not a lawyer. I am also not a Yahoo employee.

As for the requirement (except in Asia) to have a Yahoo Wallet and a Yahoo ID (which may imply a paid Yahoo MailPlus Account) to use POP access, this seems to me to be a reasonable interpretation of the Terms I posted in Post #8 of this thread.

I pay for POP access and other benefits of my Yahoo MailPlus account. This keeps me in compliance with Yahoo's Terms of Service. What Mr. Langa's article at the top of this thread recommends (YPOPS) is not in compliance with Yahoo's Terms of Service.

As I posted in #8 of this thread, I would not want Mr. Langa's advice to be taken as an assurance that YPOPS does comply with Yahoo's Terms of Service. As for registering with Yahoo Asia, I am not a lawyer nor a Yahoo employee. I simply don't do that, and I feel safe from any issues with Yahoo over violating their Terms.

Beyond these points, folks are always free to consider all points of view on YPOPS or any other web service and choose according to their own standards what to use and what to avoid.

I do not think it is wise for Windows Secrets Newsletter to contain questionable advice on circumventing the Yahoo Terms of Service regarding POP access and the requirement (in most parts of the world) to pay for this access. I do not believe that those of us who are paying for MailPlus accounts are paying for something we could be getting in compliance with Yahoo's Terms of Service for free. And I don't think Windows Secrets should be publishing information which implies otherwise.

Then again, I previously lost an argument in the Lounge that applying a Windows 7 upgrade on top of an upgrade was in fact a violation of the Microsoft EULA for the upgrade, and used a hacking technique. The Editors decided that this was an intended "feature". They were wrong on that issue as well.

So I don't expect the Newsletter to change its practices, nor to include disclaimers that their advice is sometimes questionable at best, in terms of licensing and terms of service. This probably won't be the last issue of this kind which will arise from Windows Secrets Newsletter.

I've said my peace now, and I am done with this sub-topic now. Everyone is free to have a differing opinion. Even if they are wrong.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-13 at 13:59.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We are getting off-topic with speculations about what is or is not in Yahoo's terms of service, and any speculation about what Yahoo has done or reserves the right to do to enforce those terms.
    You have a very convenient (for you, not me) habit of declaring a discussion off-topic as soon as one of your statements of "fact" is challenged.

As for not providing accurate information in order to get POP access, I am not a lawyer. I am also not a Yahoo employee
    Then stop speculating about how Yahoo may be able to sue users for their misuse of a free service, telling us that they have actually done so when they haven't, and claiming their terms of service state something "repeatedly" when it's not mentioned at all.

Bruce

Thanks
    POP access requirements are repeatedly mentioned in the Yahoo Terms of service. I posted some of these instances.

YPOPs by their own admission does not comply with Yahoo Terms of Service.

At the very least, a violation of Yahoo Terms of Service can result in an account being terminated. This can result in not being able to use any of Yahoo's services.

Mr. Langa did not mention these facts when recommending the use of YPOPs.

All else is irrelevant to my core points.

Trying to disprove an entire argument by saying that a few selected statements are not true is not logical. And not true.

I am dropping out of this sub-thread now.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast