Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Bing Bar & Google Search Box

When I open the 64 bit version of IE9 at my home page, http://uk.msn.com,the Bing Bar is shown, and I would appreciate advice as to how to get rid of it.(I have deleted every reference I could find to Bing in regedit,but it made no difference).Also, the Google Search box appears on the right of the screen, and it is very small, whereas in the 32 bit version of IE9 it is on the left of the screen and is larger, and I much prefer that configuration.How can I make the Google Search box larger and move it to the left of the screen in the 64 bit version?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    See if the Bing Bar is in the Control Panel, Programs and Features installed app list. If so it should be able to be deleted from there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instructions on how to disable it here: http://blogmines.com/blog/2011/06/23...et-explorer-9/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted & Xircal,thanks.

The Bing Bar is not shown in the Control Panel,Programs and Features list and I went to your link Xircal,but when I click the Tools drop down arrow I do not get the same menu,I do get Toolbars shown,but that does not list the Bing Bar or Google Search for that matter.Also,when I go to Manage Add-Ons,the Bing Bar is not listed.

Any other ideas?

Also, I would appreciate a reply regarding the Google Search box in the 64 bit version of IE9.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    It could be that the things you removed manually might have removed the reference in the Programs and Features list.

Check in Gear, Manage Add-ons. See if you can disable the Bing Bar add-on here.

This site shows a lot of info on this subject. Perhaps it will solve your problem.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-26 at 16:47.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a Registry fix you can use to remove it completely: http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...toolbar-3.html

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I raised the Bing Bar question with Microsoft Support,and they replied as follows:

"Bing is already a default on Windows Live and MSN pages and it could not be deleted, altered or modified".

A side issue arose out of my contacts with Microsoft Support,namely when I opened their original reply the body of the message was blank.I intended to reply pointing this out but when I hit Reply the body of the message was shown.I went back to my Inbox and opened the message again,but the message body was still blank.Can anyone explain this?

Apart from the above I would appreciate a reply to the question in my OP regarding the Google search box in the 64 bit version of IE9.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like another good reason not to use IE at all. You don't need it anyway since you can now update Windows manually via Control Panel.

Have a look at Firefox which you can customize to your own liking.

To move or add elements to the toolbar, right click a blank part of the tab bar and then click "Customize". A panel will open where you can drag anything you don't like into that panel. Those elements will remain there just in case you change your mind later and want to replace them. Similarly, you can add to the toolbar by dragging elements such as additional toolbars and buttons out of there.

If you don't like the tabs on top layout, right click a blank part of the tab bar again and click "Tabs on top" to remove the checkmark. Tabs will subsequently reappear below the location bar where you normally type a URL.

There are a host of other customizations you can perform as well as thousands of add-ons which can be installed with a simple click of a button.

You can get Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-28 at 12:08. Reason: added link

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As you know, Bing is part of IE. That said, just turn it off. Right click up top on the Tool Bar and untick Bing.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As Royw says above, the msn webpage (http://uk.msn.com) the OP was looking at has a "Bing" Search Bar displayed very prominently in the centre of the webpage. It is not part of a toolbar, or anything else in IE. It would appear in Firefox too if you went to any msn webpage. Being a microsoft product, it is prominently shown on most of their websites. Not much the browser can do about that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bing is an add-on so just disable it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't disable Bing Search on Windows Live or MSN pages, as mentioned in post#7. (I should have made it clear that I was only referring to those pages when I first raised this issue).

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Both the Bing Bar, and Bing Desktop, are in the control panel, and can be easily deleted. you can also disable Bing search in your add ons. Whats the big deal!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    John, I don't have the Bing Bar or Bing Desktop, just Bing Search and that is only on Windows Live or MSN pages, as I have said, and that is not in add-ons and in view of my comment in post #7 it obviously is not supposed to be.

I agree it's not a big deal.

Roy Whitethread