Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 64-bit will not install

Hello folks,
    I've HAD to update to IE9 since IE8 only worked in 32 bit. I d/l'd IE9, 32 bit for Win 7 and it installed and is working fine.
    I then d/l'd IE9, 64 bit for Win 7 (yes, my Win 7 is 64 bit) - and upon starting IE9 64, I get the following message:

Internet Explorer did not finish installing
    Setup can't continue because a more recent verson of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer.

I checked and the version for IE9 32 bit is the very same version for IE9 64 bit.

What do I need to do to get the 64 bit version installed?

Thanks so much and have a blessed one.

Tom

Thanks
    I would try to download it once again and reinstall. Something might not have installed properly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    Just d/l'd from a different site. I'm still getting the same error. I looked in the Programs Folder and I still have the 64bit version, but it's IE8. I can click on the .exe and it will not open. Looked in task manager and it's not running. Any other ideas? Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Perhaps uninstall both versions from the Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates and remove all versions of IE9. This will automatically reinstall IE8.

At this point I would download and install IE 9 64 Bit first. Install this first. I do not remember if IE 9 is like this, but some apps install both 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions when the 64 Bit version is installed.

edit: According to ZDNet, installing 64 Bit IE 9 will install both 64 Bit and 32 Bit versions automatically.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-04 at 19:29.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    I didn't have any references to IE, either 8 or 9 in Programs and Features to un-install. go figure
    I did remove the Win Update with one instance of IE 9, which I did un-install.
    I rebooted and did have IE8 - IE8 opens in 32bit ONLY - I do have the folder in Program Files for the "64Bit"....I can click on the "64" .exe and I just get the Aero mouse circle for about 5 seconds, but no IE 64 opens. I again checked the task manager and no instance of IE was running.
    I had no way (that I know of) to delete IE8 -
    I did install IE 9, 64 bit and it installed fine...it shows the 64 in Programs Folder. BUT, again, it will only open 32 bit.
    In start, I typed "Internet Explorer" and it only shows one, not the second that shows 64 bit.
    What's going on my friend??
    Thanks, Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    See if you have any info that you can use in Event Viewer, Applications and Service Logs, Internet Explorer.

I had a similar problem with IE 64, that was solved only when I repaired my Windows installation and reinstalled IE 9. To be honest, I am not sure if IE is worth the bother. After enduring that and some other quirks one time too many, I just started using Chrome as my main browser. Not perfect, but less quirky than IE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cthiggin View Post
    Hi Ted,
    I didn't have any references to IE, either 8 or 9 in Programs and Features to un-install. go figure
    I did remove the Win Update with one instance of IE 9, which I did un-install.
    I rebooted and did have IE8 - IE8 opens in 32bit ONLY - I do have the folder in Program Files for the "64Bit"....I can click on the "64" .exe and I just get the Aero mouse circle for about 5 seconds, but no IE 64 opens. I again checked the task manager and no instance of IE was running.
    I had no way (that I know of) to delete IE8 -
    I did install IE 9, 64 bit and it installed fine...it shows the 64 in Programs Folder. BUT, again, it will only open 32 bit.
    In start, I typed "Internet Explorer" and it only shows one, not the second that shows 64 bit.
    What's going on my friend??
    Thanks, Tom
    The uninstall is under the View Installed Updates link to the left side of the window. If you go down the rather long list of Installed Updates you should find IE 9 there. I still think your problem is related to a failed install of the 32 Bit IE 9.

Perhaps the Repair Install Rui mentions will help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted/ruirib,
    Me "thinks" I have solved the issue - at least it's working correctly.
    I went to the "64 IE" folder, looked at properties of the .exe - I did NOT have Full Control as Admin / or / my computer - it would not allow me to change to Full Control.
    I was able to "grant full control", saved, and IE 64 immediately opened. Maybe a "fluke", but it's working now.
    Thanks so very very much for your interest and help. Have a blessed one. Tom

PS - Like you folks, IE is not worth a repair install and IE9 is a pain in the butt compared to IE8 - so, if I had not found the culprit and was able to correct, Google / Safari / Chrome, here I come. Thanks again

Thanks
    Glad you found the problem. Please come into the Lounge again and often to lend to our discussions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again and "will do".
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I am glad that you found the solution to your problem and thanks for posting about it. It may help other users going through the same situation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    Well, I'm not completely out of the woods the way I thought I was.
    Anytime I reboot or start from cold - click on IE8 64, it does not open, HOWEVER, what does open in the taskmanager is the file - regsvr32 - If I click more times, it continues to add more "regsvr32" files to taskmanager.
    IE8 64 will "eventually" open work fine, open, close, but anytime there is a reboot, it goes back to the above situation.
    I have run sfc \scannow and it comes back fine.
    Any more ideas why IE8 64 is opening that regsvr32.exe file?
    Thanks and have a blessed one.
    Tom

Thanks
    Do you have IE 8 or IE 9? Earlier you talked about IE 9, but in your last post you mention IE 8. If you indeed have IE 8 I would download and install the 64 Bit version of IE 9.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    I tried installing IE9, 64 bit, and it would not run either, only the 32 bit.
    One reason I'm using IE8 is that with IE9, everything has to be in Compatibility View or half my sites don't open and some will open but not display correctly....I remember doing this last year and had to call MS about the issue. In summary, they had me move back to IE8.

IF I can't get this solved, I will move away of IE and go with Chrome, Safari, or something different.
    There has to be a reason why IE8 64 icon opens the regsvr32, which is the services registering component of Win7. IE8, 32, opens fine and does not open the regsvr32 file in taskmanager. The IE8 64 "is" pointing to the correct path.

Let me know. Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Sorry, don't have an answer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast