Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Niagara Falls, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,878
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Microsoft Jet database engine stopped Error? (A2k (9.0.4402) SR-1)

    Microsoft Jet database engine stopped Error?

    A2k (9.0.4402) SR-1

    I have a tabbed form for the master record with multiple sub forms for detail records attached.

    One of the sub forms is single form and five other sub forms are continuous forms.

    The record sources for all the forms are the individual tables.

    The master record has a primary key lngBPermitID and the sub form tables each have a foreign key lngBPermitID.

    Periodically when entering line item records in two of the sub forms with continuous records I get the following message:

    The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

    My only option is to click OK through the entire record, the message repeats for each field on the form with #error appearing in each field. When the error message finally stops, I can move the record selector to previous master record, then back to problem master record, select the tab that has the problem sub form and the data is there and correct.

    This happens intermittently, it happens when there is only one person on the system.

    Any clues on what

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    16,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Microsoft Jet database engine stopped Error? (A2k (9.0.4402) SR-1)

    I haven't run into it in Access 2000, but in Access 97 that error was usually caused by database corruption involving a memo field. If you compact the database, does that make it go away for a while?
    Charlotte

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Niagara Falls, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,878
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Microsoft Jet database engine stopped Error? (A2k (9.0.4402) SR-1)

    Hi Charlotte

    Thanks for memo filed clue.

    I tried everyhing, each of my sub form data sheets had a memo field.

    These records were converted and imported from a another system.

    If the memo field was empty, if came into the access table with spaces.

    So I made some update queries to test memo fields for space and set to null if it was a space.

    With limited testing, I don't get the error any more, not 100% sure this solved the problem, I will keep you informed.

    If nothing else, eliminating spaces reduced DB_BE.mdb by 4MB

    Am I on the right track?

    John

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    16,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Microsoft Jet database engine stopped Error? (A2k (9.0.4402) SR-1)

    Do those fields really need to be longer than 255 characters? If not, change the memo fields to text fields and save yourself some headaches. It will reduce the size of your database as well as the incidences of corruption.

    You might try doing a query to return all records where the Len(Trim(fieldname)) of your memo field is >255 (where fieldname represents the actual name of your memo field). That will at least tell you how many of them really need to be memo fields. If the query doesn't return any records, you would be safe in converting the field to a text field. If you're currently testing to see if the memo fields hold nothing but one or more spaces, try replacing them with a null when Len(Trim(fieldname))=0.
    Charlotte

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •