Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

data validation not ignoring blanks

I create a name list, group1, using a formula. The values in the list are names or "".
    Then, the name list is used in a data validation.

The problem is that the cells with a "" in them show up as blanks in the drop-down.

So, I might have:

AAA
    BBB

CCC

DDD

Is there a way to remove those blanks from the drop-down? I have the box "ignore blank cells" checked, but these aren't really blank if they have a "" in them. Hmmm. Does Excel have a REAL blank that you can put in a cell? Something that's really nothing?

Thanks in advance.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The ignore blank cells refers to what your user types, not to the data in the dropdown list. Lets the user hit "enter" without generating an annoying error message.
    Norm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Kweaver:

Excel's Dialog Box for Data Validation is very poorly written. the "ignore blank cells" should actually read "Allow Users to enter drop down items or alternatively leave the cell blank."
    When the box is checked the user is allowed to skip a data entry cell.

As to your list, Excel in its documentaiton of Data Validation does say if you want the valuation drop down to be in alpha order do a sort.

If a sort of the Live Data causes too many issues, then copy data and "Paste Special - Values" in an area and sort this list for your validation. If you have multipe items same idea but use advanced filter, "Unique Items" and copy to a new location, lastly sort that data and use as Validaiton.

Good Luck.

TD

Thanks
    You need to create a contiguous range of the values you want, no blanks cells at all, and assign that to the data validation. You can keep the current list as an intermediate and create a new list with a named range (I used "DataList") that only selects the extracted values.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How unfortunate (for me). I have about 50 named ranges that are created this way and will have to create yet another set of ranges that are sorted versions of those columns. YUCK.