New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Error 80070005

There have been previous postings in the lounge and elsewhere about this error, but I have found no solution applicable to Windows 7. About 2 or three weeks ago, whenever I am looking for new updates, I get the message:

Windows could not search for new updates
    An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
    Error(s) found: Code 80070005 Windows encountered an unknown error.

There follows a link "Get help with this error" which does not offer a solution.

I have also downloaded and run RegCurePro - which promised to solve the problem on an ad, but it did not work either.

Thanks for any suggestions -- Hellmut

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Helmut,

Try this thread (be sure to read ALL THE WAY THRU before doing anything):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-eae76759d1d3/

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the Windows Update error 80070005 for months and had tried every fix I could find to no avail. Before I did a reinstall I decided to try just one more thing. I went to C:Windows and right clicked the Windows folder and clicked on Properties and checked "Hidden". You must be logged on with your administrator account. It then came up with the administrator privilages box and I clicked Continue. When it says it can't apply to certain files just click "ignore all". I let it run and make all the files in the Windows folder hidden. When it finished, I immediately unchecked the hidden box and let it do it's thing again, unhiding all the Windows files. I then went to Windows Update and it worked like a charm. I am not sure how the file attributes may have gotten changed, but it was an easy fix. I don't know if this will work for all of you, but I just thought I would share my experience because it sure beats a complete reinstall. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    Let me know if this works for you.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leriche For This Useful Post:

chasigirl (2012-11-21),Chocolaty Giggles (2013-10-31),memays (2013-10-10),Stonyman2 (2013-09-14),twilbur (2014-02-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Made an account just to tell you that applying the read only option to all the windows system files fixed my update problem in windows 7. I recently got rid of multiple virus and spywares and removed them and I guess one of them turned tons of my files to hidden files, thus disabling full access to them making me think i had administrative right problems on the computer. We need to get this forum popular it could probably solves many peoples problems with administrative rights errors. Thank you! Computer technician of 6 years and never thought of this until now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jtouchstone6141 For This Useful Post:

Chocolaty Giggles (2013-10-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Glad to have helped.
    Your right we should get this out there.
    I looked EVERYWHERE for a solution to this.
    Was really getting frustrated.
    Cheers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leriche For This Useful Post:

memays (2013-10-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    wow....SUPER !!!! also signed up to say thanks so much for sharing this idea. It worked on my windows. Finally after several
    months I was able to update.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BLESS THIS THREAD! Seven months. That's how long I've been dealing with this error. Thankfully I found this thread before I accidentally downloaded something viral that promised to fix it (I was beginning to get that desperate)...And such a simple fix, too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leriche View Post
    I have had the Windows Update error 80070005 for months and had tried every fix I could find to no avail. Before I did a reinstall I decided to try just one more thing. I went to C:Windows and right clicked the Windows folder and clicked on Properties and checked "Hidden". You must be logged on with your administrator account. It then came up with the administrator privilages box and I clicked Continue. When it says it can't apply to certain files just click "ignore all". I let it run and make all the files in the Windows folder hidden. When it finished, I immediately unchecked the hidden box and let it do it's thing again, unhiding all the Windows files. I then went to Windows Update and it worked like a charm. I am not sure how the file attributes may have gotten changed, but it was an easy fix. I don't know if this will work for all of you, but I just thought I would share my experience because it sure beats a complete reinstall. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    Let me know if this works for you.
    Hi: sorry to bring up such an old thread but I just found this forum post. I've spent months trying to find a solution to this update failure. So I signed up to post a reply after following your post instructions. It did not work for me unfortunately so maybe someone has discovered something else that may work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonW60 View Post
    Hi: sorry to bring up such an old thread but I just found this forum post. I've spent months trying to find a solution to this update failure. So I signed up to post a reply after following your post instructions. It did not work for me unfortunately so maybe someone has discovered something else that may work.
    See the #1 post at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...s-10-upgraders
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

RonW60 (2015-08-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Thanks..downloaded it and will report back the results.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well,after nearly a year of unsuccessful attempts to install KB 2952664 & KB3035583 I am happy to be able to report that after running the tweaking.com repair tool they finally installed! I couldn't begin to count the number of hours I spent trying every recommended fix and none of them working.Thank you so much for your help.I now have the Windows 10 task bar icon as well.
    Thanks again!