Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Four things you REALLY need to know about Windows 8 upgrades

Betanews.com has an interesting article discussing Win 8 upgrades.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The first point indicates you can't install Windows 8 Upgrade on a PC with no OS. The third point indicates you can upgrade from Windows 8 RP. I assume you could install Windows 8 RP on the PC with no OS and then run the Windows 8 upgrade disk. Time consuming but doable.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder if you can do something similar to older versions whereas when its looking for the previous version, all you need do is put the CD/DVD in and let it look there, then the installation moves on.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I would think that is very true. In Win 7 (and previous OS's) you could install the OS without entering the key, then install the OS a second time and enter the key to activate. This would seem a similar type of install. There is nothing I have read yet about just inserting the DVD to allow the upgrade. It will be interesting to see if this works.

By the way, installing Win 8 RP (base install) is relatively quick. This option would be less time consuming than in the past.

The next few months will be interesting. I cannot wait until MS releases Win 8 Pro.

I plan on installing the old fashioned way. I will Image my Win 7 Ultimate, download the ISO file and burn it to DVD, then reboot to the DVD. I will then install Win 8 Pro directly in that partition, and after it's running I will make a base Image of the OS. I will then apply all customizations, install all apps, and create another Image of the OS in what I consider an operational state. After this I will delete the Win 8 RP partition and resize my Win 8 Pro partition to include this space. I expect this whole process to take a few hours.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder if you can do something similar to older versions whereas when its looking for the previous version, all you need do is put the CD/DVD in and let it look there, then the installation moves on.
    The upgrade installation disk looks for an installed qualifying version. Just pointing to the dvd will not work. Windows 8 is supposed to have an updated and streamlined installation process, according to MS. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

Thanks
    Found this quote from Microsoft as reported by Mary Jo Foley here: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confi...oo-7000000409/

"Assuming the customer had a previous version of Windows installed before Release Preview, they’ll be able to upgrade from the Release Preview. They won’t need to reinstall the previous version to do the upgrade; they can just upgrade on top of the Release Preview."

Wonder how Microsoft can tell if the RP system had a previous version of Windows? The exixtance of a Windows.old file?

Jerry

Thanks
    Who knows. Many of us, after we got everything of value out of the windows.old folder, deleted it using the approved method through Disk Clean up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The Win8 install will not proceed w/out a Key entered (unlike 7).

Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Found this quote from Microsoft as reported by Mary Jo Foley here: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confi...oo-7000000409/

"Assuming the customer had a previous version of Windows installed before Release Preview, they’ll be able to upgrade from the Release Preview. They won’t need to reinstall the previous version to do the upgrade; they can just upgrade on top of the Release Preview."

Wonder how Microsoft can tell if the RP system had a previous version of Windows? The exixtance of a Windows.old file?

Jerry
    As I read that MS statement:

If this is an install of RP over a pre-Win 8 version, the old license key is still on the partition somewhere, as well as the RP license key. Both keys would then be needed and would be replaced (invalidated) during the upgrade process. That's how MS upgrades have always worked. The key difference here is the intermediate "upgrade" to RP, where ther must be an underlying pre-Win 8 license key for the RTM upgrade to work.

So, it appears that just doing a clean install of Win 8 RP will NOT qualify for the upgrade. There must be an older OS version with a valid key before the RP upgrade took place.

Clear enough?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-12 at 11:53.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    No, that is not how Microsoft upgrades have always worked. In XP, all you needed was some disk from a previous OS. No license key required. In Vista, you could install via the upgrade disk twice with no license key supplied in the first install.

Thanks
    Win 7 also worked this way. The double install method. Win 8 will not work this way as Drew has mentioned. It does appear MS has closed that hole.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    No, that is not how Microsoft upgrades have always worked. In XP, all you needed was some disk from a previous OS. No license key required. In Vista, you could install via the upgrade disk twice with no license key supplied in the first install.
    OK, so the process is evolving, and not in a favorable way for consumers. But the fact seems to be that the Win 8 RTM Upgrade will not install over Win 8 RP unless there's some previous underlying license. That was my main point.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-13 at 13:15.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    But the fact seems to be that the Win 8 RTM Upgrade will not install over Win 8 RP unless there's some previous underlying license.
    That remains to be seen. I would be very surprised if someone doesn't find some workaround to get Windows 8 upgrade installed on a blank disk but we won't know for sure until after the release.

Jerry

Thanks
    That could very well be. The double install method for Win 7 wasn't highly publicized until after the release.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-14 at 06:25.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    There did have to be a valid OS before having RP. Will upgrade from RP. Just not to a blank drive. Can't upgrade nothing or from nothing.

Dbl Pass, not doable.

Drew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast