Thanks

My Win 8 RP goes to desktop automatically. SOLVED!

We used to have a script to stop briefly on the Metro UI, then switch to the Desktop UI. With Win 8 RP, that script no longer worked.

I have noticed recently, that after a brief stop on the Metro UI, my PC automatically switches to the Desktop UI. I believe that perhaps this is due to the Cleanup batch file I have in my Start Up folder that runs automatically when I reboot, or wake from sleep. I have no other explanation for this phenomenon.

It has occurred regularly recently although I honestly can not say it is every time. I will be watching for this from this point on and report back.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-11 at 17:51.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I have an answer that I like. The latest version of Classic Shell includes a Skip Metro option.

SkipStartMenu.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    There is another method to bypass Metro and go directly to your Desktop. First your Desktop Tile must be in the Upper Left position of all the Metro Tiles:

DesktopTile.jpg

Note: This method will not work if you use the Picture password, or do NOT use a password at all. For these situations you would have to use the method outlined above.

After entering your password, INSTEAD of tapping the Enter button, press and hold the Enter Button. You do not have to hold for long. Holding the Enter Button down activates the Upper Left most Tile, which in this case is the Desktop Tile.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great tip! It is not necessary to press Enter when signing in with a pin. Win 8 accepts it without the Enter button. If the Desktop is in the upper left corner, just hitting Enter as soon as the Metro screen appears takes you to Desktop. I have not tried it with a password, but I bet it is the same. Very quick and easy.