Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Flash Reader 10.x vs 11.x: "Requires" 2.33GHz On 2.19Ghz Laptop

On my Dell Latitude C840 WinXPsp3 laptop, I considered installing the latest Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.262 (NonIE), but its system requirements include a processor of 2.33GHz or faster, and its offline installer is 9,586 kb. The final 10.x Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.20 (NonIE) has the same 2.33Ghz requirement, but its offline installer is only 3,021 kb.

Given that my C840's processor is only 2.19Ghz < 2.33GHz, and the enormous difference in installer size, I decided that Adobe Flash Player version 11.3.300.262 probably wouldn't run well on my computer. So I installed version 10.3.183.20.

After the installation, to test my installation I went to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/.
    The apparent test was a solid red bar that promptly split into two cubes that separated, bounced on an underlying blanket, were decorated by a white f, and then disappeared. They were replaced by the word ADVERTISEMENT. The total elapsed time was about 5 seconds until ADVERTISEMENT appeared (and remained).

Does this display-and-disappear demonstrate that my installation is working properly?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or advice on finding a more convincing test.

Roger Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-07-06 at 12:31.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes. At the right end beneath the animation box it also should verify the version you have installed.

Joe

Thanks
    10.3 is fine on XP - as far as I'm aware, the security fix levels are the same on both and the additional file size on 11.3 is down to the new 'sandboxing' feature which is only applicable to Vista/W7 and presumably, the recent W8 pre-releases.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Yes. At the right end beneath the animation box it also should verify the version you have installed.
    Joe
    Joe: I forgot to mention that at the test site, I DO get the version number confirmed. Thanks for confirming that with the stuff I described plus the version number, I've got a valid installation.

Roger Folsom

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    10.3 is fine on XP - as far as I'm aware, the security fix levels are the same on both and the additional file size on 11.3 is down to the new 'sandboxing' feature which is only applicable to Vista/W7 and presumably, the recent W8 pre-releases.
    Satrow:

Thank you for confirming that my guessed-decision was appropriate. And thanks also for explaining what caused Adobe Flash Player 11.3 to gain so much weight!

Roger Folsom

P.S. #1. I just now noticed that my title for this thread says "Reader" where it should say "Player." But I don't see any way to fix that (editing my initial post apparently doesn't include access to the thread title, unless I've overlooked something). And on reflection, I'd guess that changing thread titles could cause confusion.

P.S. #2. A Google search for an Adobe Flash Player 10,3,183,20 (NonIE) offline installation file generated several sources, but when I went to those sources they didn't have what it.
    I finally found an Adobe Flash Player 10,3,183,20 (NonIE) offline installation file in a zip file at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...for_developers.
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-07-07 at 00:14. Reason: Added P.S.

Thanks
    Adobe Flash Player Distribution (offline installers)

(Download the approriate EXE or MSI offline installer for Windows directly from Adobe without the McAfee junk...) if the standard method (online installer) doesn't work properly for you.

Flash Player 11.3 (ActiveX 11.3.200.257 and Plugin 11.3.300.262 versions) should run fine with lesser than the recommended system requirements on many machines, as do earlier 11.2 and 10.3 versions...
    Last edited by jgstanley; 2012-07-10 at 15:46.