Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent Internet connection

I am having intermittent connection issues. Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 installed on an SSD (2 partitions, the other has W 8 RP). Both are recent installations .
    Intermittently I lose connectivity, (browsers and email client) but Network and Sharing centre shows that Internet access is present (wrong, of course). I have updated the driver (from the Intel site, newer than the one on the ASUS site) for the Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Adapter on the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard, without any effect on this issue.
    I can sometimes restore connectivity by disabling and then re-enabling the Local Area Connection, but that doesn't always work - the only sure "fix" is to reboot.
    This connectivity issue has never appeared while I have been running W 8, so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Other computers on the same home network do not have this issue, it is confined to this installation on my desktop machine. My laptop, also running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, is connected to the network through the same switch and connects OK while the desktop is refusing to connect.
    I have checked the services as suggested in http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ue-and-WIndows, and set them as suggested there, but that didn't improve the situation, so I have reverted to how it was before.
    I have installed some of my programs on another HDD partition, but have had no issues using them.
    I have run both scannow and chkdsk, without any issues being raised by either of those functions.
    I hope someone can point me to a solution!
    TIA
    lmodra

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Imodra, try this MTU.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but my modem/router, a Netgear CG3100, doesn't appear to have a facility to modify MTU (nor DNS addresses). But running the suggested ping with a value above 1472 loses the packets, so I assume that the router MTU is set at 1500. I have set the computer MTU to 1500, and the ping is OK at 1472, but no higher.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will help but definitely worth a try.

Within device manager, open up the properties for your network card and select the power management tab. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. The current Intel driver has several options for power management, none as simple as the one you referenced! I think I have it set so that it doesn't power down the adapter, which is built in to the mobo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lmodra View Post
    Thanks, but my modem/router, a Netgear CG3100, doesn't appear to have a facility to modify MTU (nor DNS addresses). But running the suggested ping with a value above 1472 loses the packets, so I assume that the router MTU is set at 1500. I have set the computer MTU to 1500, and the ping is OK at 1472, but no higher.
    Every router has DNS & MTU settings.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP assigns a dynamic IP. When a dynamic IP is selected here is no facility to change the DNS servers, and I haven't yet found a reference to MTU in the settings. My router (cable) is not the same model as the one you have shown in the screen captures you posted, the settings pages differ.
    Thank you for your help!

Thanks
    Can you post a full page image of what you see when you access your router. Make an Image and post it.pdf

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,
    Capture1 is what appears when I log onto the router, Capture2 is just the Basic settings page without the LH menusCapture2.PNGCapture 1.PNG
    Last edited by lmodra; 2012-07-09 at 03:22. Reason: Added Images

Thanks
    Hi Imodra,

In your image, Capture 2, change the Primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 & Secondary DNS to 208.67.220.220
    These are the settings for OpenDNS and can be used without opening an account. In case you have to return to original settings keep note of them.
    -
    Contact your ISP for information on the correct MTU to use and how to change it in your router. The default on most computers is 1500.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt reply. However the DNS settings are not accessible when Dynamic IP is selected. They do became accessible when Static IP is selected, but the ISP specifies use of a dynamic IP. I have an account with OpenDNS, and used their DNS servers with the previous router supplied by the ISP. So had tried to set them up prior to this intermittent disconnection occurring.

Thanks
    My IP Address is Dynamic and have no trouble changing OpenDNS

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I could see from your screen clips that your router allowed DNS changes - mine is a different router - and perhaps a different ISP has a bearing also.

Thanks
    How long have you been using your current router ? It might be worth trying your older one if you still have it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This router was supplied by the ISP to permit an upgrade to the plan we are now on - faster, and a higher data limit than the old, but better pricing. Result of competition, no doubt. I understand that the old router, even if I had access to it, would not be compatible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast