Thread: Ntregopt

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Ntregopt

The NTREGOPT program works ok in my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system, but when I try to run it in Win 8 RP, which is on a separate partition, I get the warning message shown in the attached screenshot. (Similar messages appear if I click next to go to the next registry hive).

(For anyone unfamiliar with the program, the following is an extract from the help file:

"Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    minimum size possible.")

If anyone can tell me how to resolve these warning messages I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy

PS. I TRIED FOR 30 MINUTES TO UPLOAD THE SCREENSHOT, BUT THE SPINNING CURSOR AT THE TOP OF THE FILE UPLOAD MANAGER WINDOW JUST KEPT ON SPINNING. THE SCREENSHOT IS A JPG FILE AND IS ONLY 26 KB. HOW ELSE CAN I SEND IT.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I would avoid any program which (like ERUNT) operates in a very critical area of the operating system(s) - but hasn't had a new version since October 2005.

See your thread on ERUNT for similar comments...
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-07-08 at 06:44.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have to agree with batcher. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are more recent than those programs. Not only are the programs not needed, but there is the potential to damaging your OS.

I don't really like optimisers, cause they usually cause more problems than they solve. If they are outdated, then the risk is much higher.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher and ruirib, as a general rule I agree with your comments and avoid registry cleaners and optimisers like the plague, however I can't see that NTREGOPT does any harm as it simply compacts the registry hives and does not change the contents of the registry.

I learned one thing with the problem I had running the program. I had set it's properties to run as administrator, and assumed it would run in that mode. More out of curiosity than expectation I right clicked the program's shortcut and chose run as adminstrator, and the program worked properly. Why should I need to do this when I had set the program's properties to run as administrator?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread