Lounger
    Thanks

Web Backup to CDR (FrontPage 2000)

I backed up my webs to a CDR thinking that if I needed them I could just load them into FP (as I would from the hard drive) and then save them to the hard drive. Well, I need one now, but I find that all of the files copied to the CDR are "read only". So, even though I can load the web into FP from the CDR, I can't save the web to the hard disk because it is "read only". I tried copying the web from the CDR to the hard drive and that worked, but again I can't save the web. I get an error message telling me that FP can't open the file for writing.

What gives? I can't change the attribs on the CDR files from read only to archive so I'm stuck there.

BTW, I also have all of my Word 2000 documents backed up the same way and they too are "read only".

Any ideas? What did I do wrong? How do I regain full use of my backup files on the CDR?

Otherwise, it seems to me that backing up data files to a CDR is a waste as they really can't be used as backups in the case of an emergency.

Thanks.
    Dave Sellars
    The Capstone Group

Thanks

Re: Web Backup to CDR (FrontPage 2000)

What happens if you copy files from the CD to the HD, remove the read-only attribute and then open them with FP?

Thanks

This is where the old DOS commands come in handy.
    After copying your web - open a DOS window and switch to the top folder of your web.

Try running the following DOS command:
    attrib -r +a /s

The attrib command - changes attributes (naturally), the -r switch removes the read only, +a set the archive attribute /s will perform on subdirectories.

Of course depending on your version of DOS - your mileage may vary, but this is a good place to start.

PS - can't avoid the readonly attribute after copying to read only media! If you use the xcopy command (yes from the command prompt - you can set the readonly attribute as you copy)

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

I tried that -- at least changing the attrib on the Index.htm file. And FP loaded the files fine from the HD, but didn't like it when I went to save them. Now, maybe I need to change the attribs on ALL of the Web files in order to really determine IF that would work. However, there are approximately 75-100 files in the Web. It would take me forever to change each one individually.

There has to be a better way. Maybe a "flag" or option that I should have set when copying the files to the CDR.

I know that a large number of people are backing up their files to a CDR because it is so effcient. There must be something that I'm missing here because while I now have a copy of the files, they have lost most of their utility.

-- dave --

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

You need to re-read Catherine's reply ... she shows one way of changing ALL of the files in a directory and subdirectories using the old-fashioned DOS prompt.

If you're uncomfortable using DOS commands ... you can accomplish the same (more-or-less) with Explorer:

Open explorer in the directory with you web files, Select all of the files in this directory, then right-click with your mouse and choose properties (or alt-enter) to get the Properties dialog box ... note that the properties dialog box should indicate that you're getting the properties on multiple files. Next you click the Read-only check box, and choose OK.

Repeat for all subdirectories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Catherine,

Thanks. Yes, I am comfortable with DOS, but it has been a long time since I used those commands. Actually, I learned that you can do the same thing in IE by changing the properties of the folder. That changes the attribs of all the files in the folder.

I just couldn't see the forest for the trees <VBG>.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Lounger
    Thanks

Allen,

Yes, you are correct. I did misread her post. Thanks for the reply and calling that to my attention.

-- dave --