Star Lounger
    Thanks

YouTube not working

Should this query go under XP, or Browsers ? On the basis of more people being active here, this is where I'm posting it.

XP with all updates; Google Chrome 20.xxxxx

In the last few days YouTube starts to load a video - that is the loading symbol runs for a second or two - and then a message "An error has occurred. Please try again later". This is happening off a link or directly off the You Tube site. This is over the last couple of days - it was OK earlier in the week.

I've seen a suggestion that Flash 11 might be the problem. Apart from the fact that I can't immediately locate where Flash is on my PC, I did do a download of Flash 10 which recommended removing all existing versions; CCleaner told me that I have V10.3 on the system anyway, so that download wasn't necessary then !

I did a search here to see if there were any recent queries like mine, and did find a thread in which the Flash 11 problem was mentioned, but that was a way back in May and doesn't seem to relate to this very recent failure.

Anybody got any ideas ? One thing I should do is to try another browser - realised that as I was writing this and will now go and do so.

Rob

Edit: Should have posted in Browser after all! Seems to be a Google problem as Firefox runs YouTube OK.
    Last edited by oldwood; 2012-07-08 at 05:40. Reason: Tested other browser

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I see it got moved !! Right call, moderator.

Anyhow; having found that the problem was related to Chrome only - if I used Firefox it was OK - a bit of Googling found that this wasn't an unknown problem and the recommended solution was to go into the 'Spanner'...Settings/Advanced/Content Settings/Cookies and Site Data .... and then search for and delete all the YouTube cookies. That sorted it !

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Thanks for posting the solution, it may be of use to someone else.