Lounger
    Thanks

Should I install a PCI Video Card?

I have a Desktop PC with following specs:

I don't always get the results I expect with this machine. The Acer LCD display does not seem to change as rapidly as I feel it should and scrolling is not always smooth. Sometimes it seems to hang up for a second or two before continuing. I am wondering if installing a PCI Video Card might help this situation or if, perhaps, something else is at fault. Also, at night I usually have Yahoo Ball Scores running along with a couple of other Tabs minimized in Firefox and if I am doing something else such as playing Free Cell when the Scores page updates I frequently have momentary hang ups for a second or two. Is this related to the scrolling problem or is it because I am trying to do too much with the CPU or Ram that I have. Another problem I have which may or may not be related is that many times when viewing a video (such as You Tube) the audio is good but the video does no sync with the audio.

Any input anyone can give me will be appreciated.

Bob P

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjacket30268 View Post
    Any input anyone can give me will be appreciated.
    Hi Bob,
    Are you able to open the Nvidia "Control Panel"? On my OS you can access it through the Windows Control Panel or Right clicking on an empty portion of your desk top... If you can you might be able to "Tweak" the settings to accomplish what your after... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If your considering a GPU change/addon card, ensure that your power supply can adequately handle the extra load.
    You may also benefit from an extra 2GBs of RAM in your system.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-07-10 at 16:51.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The strict answer to your question is no. PCI Express, maybe but not just PCI.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You may also benefit from an extra 2GBs of RAM in your system.
    Would that not be counter-productive though? 4GB in dual channel vs 6GB in single channel mode?

Thanks
    I don't think you will see a performance difference between 4 gb dual channel vs 6 gb single channel unless you have a lot of memory hungry programs open at the same time.

See: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...de,2264-3.html

Jerry

Thanks
    It's never gonna be counter productive to add a few more gigabytes of RAM over and above 4GB in a 64 bit system.
    It would make for a decent overall system upgrade. Now if the OP was ambitious enough to upgrade that E5400 on top
    of the memory and GPU upgrades he/she would have an improved system to work with.

Thanks
    @op Would you be happy to return the system to the state it was in when you bought it?

If so, backup all your personal information beforehand and check your documentation as to how to restore to factory configuration. It's normally only a function key on bootup.

@clint Where would the memory go

4GB DDR2 dual-channel (2 2GB) 2 DDR2 slots total, 0 DDR2 slots available

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    @op Would you be happy to return the system to the state it was in when you bought it?

If so, backup all your personal information beforehand and check your documentation as to how to restore to factory configuration. It's normally only a function key on bootup.

@clint Where would the memory go
    Unless the board specifically states that it's maximum memory capacity is a total of 4GB, 4 GB RAM sticks can be used.
    ...would you also like me to hold your hand, maybe sing a little song too? [sarcasm]
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-08-26 at 10:45.

Thanks
    4 GB of RAM is fine unless you are running a particularly hungry app like Photoshop. I've been running Windows 7 for years with 4 gigs including some occasional Photoshop work and its been plenty fast. I have low end video as well but I don't do gaming.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Unless the board specifically states that it's maximum memory capacity is a total of 4GB, 4 GB RAM sticks can be used.
    ...would you also like me to hold your hand, maybe sing a little song too? [sarcasm]
    LOL, remind me again where sarcasm is in the top ten of humour