Thanks

Basic Question (I think...) re Access 2010 & using Data from a 2nd Ac db

I have a simple database to create an email report of all employees who're out of the office, why they're out, and when they're due back. I've got this working well.

I currently have a simple table with four fields -- the employee Name, an Out check box (when checked, indicates employee is out of the office), Reason (displays drop-down list from a second simple table within the same db), and Return Info (text).

To use it, the receptionist brings up a form with a list of all employees, then checks the box, chooses the reason and enters return info fields next to any absent individuals. She can then create and send an html report via email. The check in the box "sticks" until the receptionist removes it.

So now I'm finally up to my question. Instead of entering all employee names into the Names field of this db, I'd like to use three fields from a different Access database, so the list doesn't have to be maintained in two locations. These fields would be Last, First and Middle Name and I'd like to concatenate them in the form and report.

So my question is: how do I populate the first column(s) with the names from the other database?

Thanks much! Kim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

The easiest way would be to create a linked table to the other database. Once you do that, you can treat the linked table as if it was a local table and do whatever you want to do with the data stored there.

Thanks
    Thanks for your response.

I'd gotten as far as linking to a table in the other database. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the "whatever you want to do" part.

It must be fairly simple, as this is what relational dbs do. So, I've got a book and I'm working through it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get there from here.

Thanks again,
    Kim

Administrator
    Thanks
    I thought your question was about getting data from the other database. Now it is local, with the linking, but you need help getting the different parts concatenated?

Thanks
    Well, I've been hacking away at it and I've done it. My biggest issue was that I created the wrong kind of relationship -- I needed a one to many.

I've created a report w/vba to send as the body of an email. The last thing I'm wrestling with is creating a form that displays the full list of names. Do I need to go with a subform? Right now I'm simply displaying the list in Datasheet View.

Thanks,
    Kim

Administrator
    Thanks
    To display the full list, you will need a continuous form. That can be achieved with the wizard, by choosing Tabular form or by setting the form Default View to Continuous Forms and setting all the properties of the type Allow...View to No, except Allow Form View which should be set to Yes.

Thanks
    I struggled a bit with the auto-form creator before just taking a form I'd previously created that displayed a single record at a time, and changed it's Default View property to Continuous Form and voila! I will review the Allow... View settings to make sure they're correct.

Much thanks,
    Kim

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome .