2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 64 Resources

I have W7 64 with 20gb RAM (the slots were lonely and needed chums) running an i7 with 2 SCSI 300 - 160 and 1tb and a 3TB drive and a 2gb PCI video card - should be enough. I see NO real difference in performance. In fact certain applications like Dragon Speak STILL makes LOTS of errors if I give it more than 5 lines. I've read all this stuff about W7 resources and "throw more RAM at it"... ok I did that... then it's this BIOS tweak and that caching thing... With these horses pulling the rig, I should need no tweaks or other hoop jumps or the "but unfortunately"... speech. I am forbidden to get an SSD (IT family) so I'm wondering if I have crossed some threshold that well documented in footnote 8,273 of the manual... it's not the speed thing I was hoping for.

Thanks
    You see no difference in performance in comparison to what?

There will be many many variables that factor into system performance and stability, not least of which is the overall health of the system's software environment, compatibility of the hardware components, compatibility of software, and even the way one uses his or her system. They will all play a major role and factor heavily in system performance and overall stability.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sure

I agree with your comments.

Your question of "faster than what" is very meaningful. This is not about the benchmarks, but the expectations that things would be better. The definition of "better" is ambivalent. Using all of the available RAM is a good thing, but when it IS used how is it different from XP which did not use everything. My real question is if a lot of people use 8 GB of RAM, the idea that we should simply throw RAM at a problem and all will be well needs to be redefined.

I have read some posts that say that there is such a thing as "too much RAM". I didn't have that problem, but my problem is that the definition of "power user" should be more than someone who over clocks. My rig is fairly stable, my software behaves fairly predictably (how fast can Microsoft Word go), but I expected much snappier performance.

The things that "happen", I understand for the most part. I also understand why large SATA drives need larger caches and all that. I also see that a SCSI drive is still faster than a Sata drive no matter what the benchmarks say. You are correct when you say that there are a lot of other factors such as bus speed and chip speed and all of that. My last rig was running in XP with a P4 CPU with 4 GB of RAM (same drive configuration more or less) and between the two I can see why Windows 7 is better but not remarkably so.

I guess my contribution would be that 16 GB of RAM approaches overkill. Most people do not need four hard drives and 3x 3 TB external drives. A 2 GB video card is not much better than a 1 GB video card running DDR3, and I will say that sometimes it is difficult to push back for the marketing hype.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really expect a lot more!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Even in a 64 bit environment, the amount of memory available for each individual app will vary depending on whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit and where the memory comes from. Here is some info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

W
    ith a lot of memory available, some people use RAM disks targeted to benefit specific apps, like browsers. Here is some info on setting up RAM disks:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-do-i-use-a-ram-disk-to-help-speed-up-disk-intensive-applications/3430
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356046

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw those links before. When I first read them my response was "hey – let's fill up the slots". I also read that RAMdisk.sys is gone which I am sorry for because I have used them in the past. It would certainly be an interesting experience having an 8 GB RAM disk.