Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MalwareBytes

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

MalwareBytes

Another curious question, I have been using the free MalwareBytes App and wondering if anybody using same has switched to the paid version and if so was it a helpful upgrade or just not necessary.

This Monday possible Malware attack started me thinking about the paid version (I had no problems)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Malwarebytes paid has the advantage of real time protection. Being a good product, no harm can come of using the pro version for real time protection.
    I don't use malwarebytes other than for an occasional scan. If I found myself using it more regularly, I would go for the paid version. I like to support the products I use regularly, software developers do need to make a living too.

Thanks
    I recently switched to the Pro version. (I got it from Frys Electronics a couple of weeks ago during a sale) The real time scanning is the biggest attraction. It seems to work nicely with both Windows Defender and AVG 2013 (beta). I have used it with both.

It also automatically updates each day (if you choose) and you can easily set up a daily scan.

(The DNS malware thing was way overblown IMO. Remember the Y2K fiasco!)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Like Ted, I had the opportunity to buy the Pro version on a good sale, and did so. I have it on my all day-everyday-desktop machine and have it set to update frequently. That has a downside, however, in that I forget about updating it on the two lap tops!! But I do like it.

BJ

Thanks
    BJ, tie a piece of yarn around your finger to remind you, LOL.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    wondering if anybody using same has switched to the paid version and if so was it a helpful upgrade or just not necessary.
    "Bulbman"

Hello...Yes it (upgrading) is well worth the price ..("Promo" sale or other) my OS's are set to auto update every hour (check) and quick and or flash scan afterwards.Updates several times a day.. other than a balloon notification it works on it's own and has little noticeable effect on my PC....go for it Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-09 at 09:09.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    ... my OS's are set to auto update every hour ... Updates several times a day..
    Updates? I thought you don't need no stinkin' updates?

I wonder why you trust Malwarebytes more than Microsoft?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-07-09 at 18:32.

Thanks
    I find Malwarebytes and MSE detect different forms of Malware and I think they complement each other nicely. The most serious forms are mainly detected by Malwarebytes but it usually is after the fact detection and clean. MSE is better at actively preventing infections via its Real Time Protection but doesn't detect the more serious ones that Malwarebytes finds in my experience.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Updates? I thought you don't need no stinkin' updates?

I wonder why you trust Malwarebytes more than Microsoft?
    Hi Bruce,
    OK , Fair enough...let me explain ....Here's why..

1. Let me first say that i have 4 Windows OS's on the same PC ....XP-Pro , Vista Home Premium, Windows "7" Pro 32 and 64 bit

2. One day a long time ago i decided to try an experiment ...What would happen if i didn't use anything security or update wise from MS. Just used Malwarebytes Pro and some version of Norton.... 360, NIS, etc. (depending on the time frame and OS involved) Also comparing one fully patched and "Up Dated" OS against the other not Patched or "updated"

3. after 5 years or so, and through several OS's ...The results were (and are) using my plan ( no MS security and no MS patch paradigm) essentially the same ...no difference.( Except about a 3-4 GB difference in OS because of Patches and Updates).. Other than the FACT that my OS's all run with the same hardware and programs ......but with no interference from MS .... No patches or updates, or security

4. So you say ..."So What " ... and i can say that i never have to be concerned with "Patch Tuesday" ....EVER! My OS's are stable and don't have BSOD's or anything else caused by "Patching" working OS's... You can choose to ignore my results and chalk them up to random chance ...or the "Romulans" somehow protecting me, or whatever you want ...Facts are facts " like em or not" Hey if you or anyone else want to be involved in a never ending Patch "Merry-go-round" ( in my view, for the most part, a clever marketing strategy) Don't let me get in the way of your success and happiness....get after it..."All aboard for patch Tuesday" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-09 at 19:58.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    JPF, apparently you haven't noticed it but Microsoft updates contain fixes for program operation as well as security patches. Things like incorrect daylight savings times and fixes for Office.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    JPF, apparently you haven't noticed it but Microsoft updates contain fixes for program operation as well as security patches. Things like incorrect daylight savings times and fixes for Office.
    Jerry,
    Hello...Apparently you did not notice that i said that all my OS's run Fine ... Don't use "Office"...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So you say ..."So What " ... and i can say that i never have to be concerned with "Patch Tuesday" ....EVER!
    Most Windows users don't have to be concerned with Patch Tuesday either. Set Microsoft updates to automatic (as you do with Malwarebytes) and it just gets done with no hassle. It rarely even requires a reboot these days. It's only complicated by all the totally unnecessary and confusing hold/skip/wait/defcon crap based on over-hyped rumor.

Hey if you or anyone else want to be involved in a never ending Patch "Merry-go-round" ( in my view, for the most part, a clever marketing strategy) Don't let me get in the way of your success and happiness....get after it..."All aboard for patch Tuesday"
    You've mentioned the marketing angle quite a few times and I've never got it. Only by the "no such thing as bad publicity" principle would it be good marketing for Microsoft to publicize their bugs and flaws on a monthly basis. If that's what you mean, then perhaps. Do Malwarebytes and Norton sometimes improve their products with new versions?

Bruce

Thanks
    To each there own. I also apply upgrades when offered, but I do know Fred gets along quite nicely without it. We can be friends and colleagues without necessarily agreeing on ways we use and update our PC's. After all they are called Personal Computers for a reason.

Getting back to the topic, I have had good success since I upgraded to Malwarebytes Pro about a week ago. It "plays" quite nicely with MSE (WD in Win 8 RP). It auto updates every day first thing in the morning shortly after I boot. As mentioned above, these 2 apps seem to compliment each other.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Most Windows users don't have to be concerned with Patch Tuesday either. Set Microsoft updates to automatic (as you do with Malwarebytes) and it just gets done with no hassle.

You've mentioned the marketing angle quite a few times and I've never got it.
    Hi Bruce,
    My overall point is that once my OS's are working ,with all programs running and are stable ...There is no need to risk them puting "OS Patches" At that point your just looking for trouble....That said...

Once i have detached from the OS patch"merry-go-round" that leaves the security aspect... Since i cover that with my paradigm MalwareBytes and Norton (now NIS 2012) there is no reason to get involved with the "Patch Tuesday" thing... My proof that this works is...I have been running this way for several years with several OS's ... "No Problemo"

The thing about "Trusting in MS Security" ...Is "I dont".. Its always the same thing "They discovered a pontential flaw" that could allow the "Romulans" to take over your PC ...or some such twaddle ..

My OS's Security are "Updated" continuously..not just on "Tuesday" and with Norton NIS 2012\ Malwarebytes i can select how when and where they are.. All options in my complete control

Now to the "Marketing" ... The "Strategy" dictates that you always keep your customer coming back ... Ex: You give them (customer) a minimal "bone" (FREE Security Whoopeeee!) MSE for example... now they have you always updating and patching with the excitement of a new and improved OS on the horizon...That will be even more "Secure" and did i mention "Low Fat" In other words MS "owns you". Add to that the OS patch Bloat, and ultimate "buggyess" that it will eventually give you.

No ...Malwarebytes \ NIS 2012 does not add Bloat or "Buggyness" to my OS's. Like i said ...I have done this , and not just "Blowin Smoke".. Not that i would at this point, but I'm completely free to choose my own Security that will meet my requirements ...not just what MS wants to give me. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-10 at 10:11.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Ted, I noticed you stated you have MWB to update every day...
    I would suggest setting the update schedule to every HOUR...

They post updates all day long as they are made aware of potential threats...

I have mine set to update every hour and get numerous new updates during the day that I wouldn't otherwise get if it was set to every day like yours is.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast