Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question High-definition audio misidentified as SPDIF in Vista

Hi
    I've reinstalled Vista on my little computer (as opposed to my main one) and all seems well except that it seems to think that the soundcard is SPDIF and therefore no sound comes through (because it is indeed only a soundcard (part of the motherboard) and not SPDIF - and there are no SPDIF jacks on the machine in any case). I tried reinstalling drivers for the high definition audio but Vista considers that the drivers are up to date.
    I tried disabling the SPDIF to see whether the high definition audio would then appear on the list under audio playback but the audio system didn't find anything else that it could use.
    When I run the computer from a Puppy Linux live CD it finds the sound card with no problem and plays sounds correctly. I therefore have to assume it is not a hardware error. Any ideas how to make Vista recognise the sound card correctly?
    Thanks
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS I should mention the Vista version is 32 bit home basic
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: solved it anyway. The soundcard was Soundmax and I managed to find the driver. Anyone who has come across a similar problem may like to post here and or make suggestions for others with the same problem
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo