Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Windows 8 - Protecting user files

The latest building Windows 8 blog post - Protecting user files with File History

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Interesting Joe, backup for the masses becomes a bit easier. User responsive and power management - good to see these included.

Still, there are questions which arise: for example - what happens when your backup store becomes corrupt? It's not clear if it's an incremental or differential backup mechanism. So what happens if the increments or baseline are lost or damaged: in many cases this can lead to the loss of the entire backup set.

I sped through the blog post, but don't recall seeing how exactly they intend to improve take-up of File History compared to Windows Backup, which by their telemetry was less than 5%.

I also did not notice how they will give any easy to observe visual backup status: On my own systems, one regular maintenance requirement is ensuring my backups are clean - set and forget is very dangerous for backup. A broken backup means no backup, so one needs to be sure the backup status is good.

If upgrading from Windows 7 (and yes, for other posters here, I'm well aware that upgrade is not the preferred method, but there will be millions of people who do), File History will be disabled if Windows Backup is turned on in Windows 7 and will not be enabled until Windows Backup is disabled.

Lastly of course, as they note, it's only available for user data files and folders, not for the OS or user settings. Still, a better offering than Windows Backup I think.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just started using the Consumer Preview. I thought I'd give Skydrive a try. It asks you to change your account. So I entered my details, and now my normal user account has vanished! Does anyone know if the settings have been transferred to this new account? Can I change it back to the old account?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved: When you log out or reboot and return to the same screen, the option changes from Microsoft Account to Local Account, so you can change it back.

Tip: In the Consumer Preview, normal Windows Update didn't work. But Windows Defender update worked. And the Metro version of Windows Update worked.

Thanks
    Martin, you might want to consider installing Win 8 RP (the newer beta). Win 8 RP includes many fixes and upgrades to Win 8 CP.

Sorry to have gotten off topic.

I will continue to back up my data myself. I do not trust the Windows 7 Backup and Restore for this important function and I see nothing to lead me to believe I should trust File History any more. Perhaps the 5% usage is partly due to the fact that many of us do not trust this app. I use a third party app for Imaging as well. These things are too important to leave to apps you do not trust. Win 8 RP is very good for many things, but I prefer my own methods for backup.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I have enabled file history on my Windows 8 laptop using a USB Flash Drive as the repository. It backs up Contacts and Libraries once an hour and its so unobtrusive I don't realize its running. Its a set it and forget it app. I think this app will be a real boon for the non technical user that has a hard time with the nuances of imaging or backup programs. I can think of several of my clients that this would be ideal for. One of the few Windows 8 improvements I like.

Jerry