Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 Problems After July Updates

I installed the July updates today, and now when I click links in emails or click my shortcut to Windows Secrets, for example,

IE becomes not responsive. I got to this page by clicking the 64 bit IE9 shortcut in my taskbar.

The troubleshooter could not identify the problem.

Does anyone have an explanation for the problem, and what I can do about it?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There was a security patch for IE 9 included. Maybe it caused it. You can try to remove it and then add it again. Seems a very important patch, security wise.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, thanks. I removed it and then reinstalled it, but still have the same problem.

Do you have any other ideas?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Remove it, then and see if the problem goes away. It addresses a serious flaw though, so it may be risky not to install it. Of course, the problem is not to be solved by diminishing IE's usefulness.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I removed it but still have the problem, although it's only affecting the 32 bit version of IE9. Is there any way to uninstall just the 32 bit version, and if not what is the correct way to add a desktop shortcut from the 64 bit version of a website?

Apart from the above, is there any way to get email links to open in the 64 bit version?

Further help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can't just remove the 32-bit IE version. Also, IE 64 cannot be made the default browser, but there could be a way to make the 64 bit version to work as the default version. Check it here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...efault-browser. I find the post by StevenLawyer the most interesting one.

Now, did you have the problem before applying the patches? If not, you can just use system restore to go back to the point immediately before the patches and then apply the patches one by one, testing IE behavior after each patch, to find the one causing the issue. You can then remove that one and hold on applying it.

Another alternative is to change from IE to a different browser. I have done it myself, the time spent trying to get IE to work decently is just time wasted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-07-11)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, thanks a lot for the link to the Steven Lawyer post. I followed the instructions in that link, and now all links open in the 64 bit version of IE9 without any problem, and they open much faster than they did in the 32 bit version. (I will have to revert to the 32 bit version, using Steven Lawyer's directions, when using Windows Update).

Best regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Roy.