Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

NVIDIA graphics driver confusing update

The July updates for Win 7 included an update to my NVIDIA graphics driver, and all the updates were said to have been successfully installed. However, the graphics driver update is not listed in installed updates. Device Manager shows the same version as before, and when I select update driver no update is found.However, the July updates for Win 8 also included an updated driver for my NVIDIA graphics card, and that is shown in installed updates.

I went to the NVIDIA driver download page and downloaded the latest driver listed there, and installed it in Win 7, but it turned out to be the same driver I had already.

According to Device Manager, the graphics driver versions are 8.17.13.142 for Win 7 and 9.18.13.282 for Win 8.

If anyone can explain this and advise me what else to try I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    It appears you do have the latest drivers for Win 7. The NVidia site shows v 301.42 as the latest Win 7 driver. The latest Win 8 drivers are v 302.82.

Based on the version numbers shown in Device Manager yours are current.

WU could have seen your NVidia card and added the update to your list even though you already had them. This would not surprise me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-07-10)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    If anyone can explain this and advise me what else to try I would be grateful.
    Roy,
    Hello... I also have, and use NVIDIA ...I have found that there is no good reason to "Update" Video Drivers unless there is some reason to do so...(Unless you a "Gamer" and need the update) If it is working for you ...leave it be ..On my 7 \ 64 I'm running the oldest one that i could find ..V-191.07...Some newer versions had caused me grief Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-07-10)

Thanks
    I've been bitten with problems nearly every time I've used Microsoft Updates to update a graphics card driver. I always go to the card manufacturer for updated drivers now days.

Delta-V

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It appears you do have the latest drivers for Win 7. The NVidia site shows v 301.42 as the latest Win 7 driver. The latest Win 8 drivers are v 302.82.

Based on the version numbers shown in Device Manager yours are current.

WU could have seen your NVidia card and added the update to your list even though you already had them. This would not surprise me.
    My Windows 7 and Windows 8 are using the NVidia WHQL Verde Drivers, Version 304-dot-(something). This is not Beta. The NVidia WHQL Verde series drivers have their own updaters, which is the only source I trust for these updates. Version 304 is said by NVidia to be Windows 8 compatible.

No need in any event to trust Microsoft with driver updates -- ever.

(I have NVidia 310-M, as part of a core-i5 configuration, 64-bit.)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-20 at 03:58.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks

Nvidia Drivers

nVidia does have a beta version 304.79 for the GTX 560Ti and GTX 470. Last night I installed it on both computers and so far it seems to have corrected a known down clocking issue with the 301.42 driver. The OS version on both computers is Win XP x64 sp2. If any problems occur with the beta I'll back up to a pre-310 version. Look up the 304.79 in nVidia downloads under the legacy/beta link. I haven't let Microsoft update graphics drivers in years. I also have a system using a Tesla C1060 card with the 301.42 driver that was available about a month ago or so and have no problems with it. Now nVidia lists 297.03 as the current driver for the Tesla. It does get confusing. All 3 computers are running Seti at Home 24/7 and I keep a close watch on their performance and quirks.

Thanks,

Delta-V

Thanks
    Of course, different generations of NVidia video cards will have different current versions of the drivers. What I was pointing out is that there have been updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 which work (for me) better than the ones listed as current in Ted Meyers in Post #2 in this thread. If older or less-beta drivers work for you with your video cards, by all means stick with them.

If I recall correctly, the NVidia Verde Version 304 drivers were not listed as beta when I installed them on Windows 7 and Windows 8 on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. And they were listed as compatible with Windows 8, which is a new claim by NVidia for this version.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks

It turns out since my last post that there may be a problem related with the 304.79 driver and the GTX470. I've rolled that system back to 285.58. With the 304 driver I experienced a run of invalid results and errors on Seti tasks. The 285 driver hasn't produced either type of problem in the last 24 hours. The GTX560Ti machine is running fine on the 304 driver. The Tesla machine gave driver error popups yesterday and last night I rolled it back to the 275.65 driver and so far so good. The default specs on the Tesla C1060 in MHZ are:
    GPU - 610, Shaders - 1296, Memory - 800 - Voltage, 1.180 (locked)
    I have it overclocked to:
    GPU - 672, Shaders - 672, Memory - 816
    You can't go far with it since the voltage control is locked

Thanks
    As I posted in #7, older hardware may need to stick with older drivers. If the older drivers work and are not insecure, stay with them for older hardware. My Nvidia subsystem is only two years old.

Also, overclocking with any drivers may cause errors. Typically, overclocking is not officially supported.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks

I've experienced the instability caused by overclocking! I installed the Tesla when I built that computer in the summer of 2010 after I retired. Its performed flawlessly ever since with the drivers of the period. The computer is an i7 with an Asus mb and a 960 processor (3.4MHZ LGA 1366) with 24GB ram, 6 hard drives and a GT220 for video. I would like to have a mediocre cards in the other 2 computers for video so video wouldn't burden to the cruncher card. Anyway it is my main desktop computer. I have all 8 virtual cores crunching Seti as well as the Tesla. The GT220 is only video and I am playing with a little overclocking on the Tesla but, as I said, I can't go very far with it because the voltage is locked. I certainly would want to damage it and I'm tweakin the fan to gain a little more cooling. Its a long way from the 105C limit. Its not the fastest but it isn't the slowest either.

Delta-V

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
    I've experienced the instability caused by overclocking! I installed the Tesla when I built that computer in the summer of 2010 after I retired. Its performed flawlessly ever since with the drivers of the period. The computer is an i7 with an Asus mb and a 960 processor (3.4MHZ LGA 1366) with 24GB ram, 6 hard drives and a GT220 for video. I would like to have a mediocre cards in the other 2 computers for video so video wouldn't burden to the cruncher card. Anyway it is my main desktop computer. I have all 8 virtual cores crunching Seti as well as the Tesla. The GT220 is only video and I am playing with a little overclocking on the Tesla but, as I said, I can't go very far with it because the voltage is locked. I certainly would want to damage it and I'm tweakin the fan to gain a little more cooling. Its a long way from the 105C limit. Its not the fastest but it isn't the slowest either.

Delta-V
    Clearly not the standard installation. Any drivers could get into trouble in non-standard installations.No problem, though -- the older drivers are still perfectly good and secure, as far as I know.
    -- Bob Primak --