Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Question Can I do a clean install to a blank drive w/ a Win8 Upgrade?

Ok, here's the answer... after a couple of E-mails & a long phone conversation w/ my cousin who works in Redmond, for MS, who was, actually on the Windows7 Build Team & is, obviously close, in his position, to what's what w/ Windows8. Furthermore, before we talked, on my behalf, he took the query to his colleagues responsible for Win8 Deployment & Start-up. That said, NO, cannot use Upgrade to do a clean install on a blank HDD or SSD, for that matter.

However, you can take a blank drive, throw say, XP, Vista, Win7 or even Win8 RP on it and then install the Upgrade telling it to keep nothing which, will format the drive as part of the install process... this would be the recommended approach as it, in effect, amounts to a clean install. Keep in mind, if using the RP, you better already have the RP because once Win8 goes RTM the RP will no longer be available for DL.

The (old) "double pass trick" used w/ Win7 Upgrade discs will not be doable w/ Win8 Upgrade discs or .ISOs. W/ 8 a Key must be entered for the install to proceed & the delayed Activation question/option does not exist @ the beginning of the Win8 install, either. As well, remember you don't buy the software, you buy a license. All the SKUs are on an install disc (or ISO) but, it's the Key, the License that determines what you get. Ergo, if, you tell, assuming there the choice/option, it to do a "custom" install but, have bought an Upgrade License (Key), you will get told the Key does not match what you are trying to do. Plus, if, it doesn't 'see' anything, an OS, already on the drive, the Upgrade (install) will not proceed.

So, bottom line... if, to save money, an Upgrade Win8 is used to a virgin drive that drive cannot be blank. But, you can throw a legit OS on it, even Win8 RP and then turn around & tell it, the Win8 Install, not to keep anything, thereby formatting that drive & in effect clean installing Win8 using Upgrade.

We will always encourage & recommend clean over a true Upgrade, keeping stuff from the prior OS & w/out formatting. Although, the upgrading w/ Win8 is WAY more sophisticated & more likely to give or end up w/ better results than w/ previous Windows OS Upgrade paths. For example, just being able to do upgrades from all of XP, Vista & 7 w/out losing everything; before, w7, you couldn't do upgrades from XP, @ all.

Anyway, I really hope this gives closure & clarifies the issue. The only other route for clean installs on blank drives is Full Win8 or Win8 System Builder Product. I do not have a price on that, yet.

Regards,
    Drew

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Doc Brown (2012-07-11),Medico (2012-07-11)

Thanks
    Thanks Drew. This is what I had assumed as well. Thanks for getting an answer from the source.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yep, no worries

Drew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very helpful!
    Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Glad it is appreciated.

Drew

Thanks
    I'm still curious to see if you can install Windows 8 RP to a blank drive and then install the upgrade. A previous comment by a Microsoft rep indicated you had to have windows 8 RP installed to a drive with a qualifying OS (XP, Vista, or Windows 7) first, not a blank drive. We shall see.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry,

You can go from RP to Win8 Upgrade. That is based on the idea that one would have had a legit, non-beta OS before they got or could be able to get/have the RP. The Upgrade must 'see' (detect) an OS on the drive... cannot be blank.

Case in point... I am dual-booting Win7 & Win8 RP. I could put the Win8 Upgrade on the drive holding the RP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-07-11 at 18:03.

Thanks
    I read somewhere (can't find it now, go figure) that you can indeed install Win 8 RP on a new HD then upgrade (or Clean Install) Win 8 Pro from there for the $40 upgrade price. If I find the site again I will post it here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    This be it, Ted? Anyway, it is true, correct... one can Upgrade from the RP. & if, "Don't keep anything" is selected it becomes, in effect, a clean install.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    As I posted earlier:
    Found this quote from Microsoft as reported by Mary Jo Foley here: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confi...oo-7000000409/

"Assuming the customer had a previous version of Windows installed before Release Preview, they’ll be able to upgrade from the Release Preview. They won’t need to reinstall the previous version to do the upgrade; they can just upgrade on top of the Release Preview."

Its not clear to me how Microsoft can tell if a previous version of Windows was installed before a clean install of Windows RP or whether Ted's procedure will in fact work. I think we will just have to wait until the release.

Another option that may work is to Download the Windows 7 iso. Install it without validation, then do the Windows 8 upgrade.

Jerry

Thanks
    For those still using Win 8 CP (there are many out there) this is another incentive to Clean Install Win 8 RP. I believe there are many reasons that are better than this, but perhaps this will convince those that just can't seem to convince themselves to make the switch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Did I give you the site you were thinking of about installing Win8 Upgrade over RP, Ted??

Drew

Thanks
    Nope, that was not the one. It was specifically talking about Win 8 RP upgrade. Eventually it will turn up, when I can no longer find this thread, LOL
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    LOL, indeed. You did make me laugh w/ that 1; thanks, needed a chuckle.

Bing Windows8 RP to Windows8 Upgrade & see what you get.

Drew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just need a little clarification for my specific case if possible. Currently I dual boot on my C: HDD, Win7 or Win8 RP. I want to purchase a SSD to run Win8 in October and use the SSD as my C: main drive and then switch and format my current C: HHD to a D: drive for programs and data. Should I purchase the SSD now and load Win8 RP on it as the D: drive so that I can upgrade to Win8 when it is released? Also I'm not quite sure of the mechanics of switching the SSD drive [D:] to a C: after the OS is installled either. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Rich W.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast