New Lounger
    Thanks

end-of-row markers not displaying

Hi All,

I'm working on 2 documents that are based on the same template (one I created). In the older document, all the end of row markers display to the right of all tables. In the newer one, these markers don't display, despite the fact that I have 'show all formatting marks' set as my display option. Does anyone have any ideas? The Normal style is set to be hidden in the template because I don't want people to use it, but it's font colour is 'automatic' (it matches the default paragraph settings).

thanks a lot,

Glenda

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Glenda,

Could it be that someone has formatted the markers as, say, 1pt size? Do that and they basically won't show.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi from Perth Macropod,

Unfortunately, no - I'm the only person working on these docs and Normal is set to 11 pt. It might not seem like a 'big deal', but it concerns me because it's not 'normal' Word behaviour (if there is such a thing) and the template is one I created for a client, so I really need to find out why they aren't displaying. The irony is that the document where the markers aren't showing contains tips on copying and pasting table content and recommends turning on paragraph markers and being careful to only select content inside a table, not the end of row markers.

thanks anyway

Glenda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Glenda,

What happens if you select the whole table, plus a character before or after it, and set the font to 11pt, Auto-coloring?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glenda

The end of cell/row markers are displayed in the font colour of your choosing - If they are white you won't see them.

Can you select them and change the font colour to black?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

That's why, as part of the check, I suggested setting the font color to Auto.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying earlier - I work part-time from home so am often away from my desk (not enough work to do at present).
    No - if I select those markers and change the colour from Auto to black, they stay invisible. If I modify the Normal style and change the font colour to red, they stay invisible. It's really bothering me. The tables in the body of the doc are based on quick tables that I created and saved in the template, but the ones in the headers and footers, which were created from scratch, also sho no end-of-row markers. Yet in the last doc I based on this template, all the table row markers display normally. Freaky!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you upload a document containg both versions of the table?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Macropod,

Dug into this further today - I knew the reason had to be due to one of the tweaks I'd made to the template in the past 2 months because I wasn't getting 'invisible' end of row markers previously. I discovered it's due to the fact that I changed the default paragraph style to have an indent of 0.5 cm, to match my body text style. This of course resulted in Normal inheriting this indent. As soon as I change the default back to an indent of 0, the end of row markers display again. Presumably another Word 2007 bug (I certainly can't see the logic in it).

Many thanks to yourself and Andrew for offering assistance.

regards,

Glenda