Lounger
    Thanks

Challenge of the day: DSL not working

Good day to all of you highly intelligent knowledgeable and well versed people about to read this challenge I’m facing. You are my last resort. I know you probably don’t like hearing that, and I know I should have came here first but I’m the kind of guy that enjoys taking on a challenge alone first, and then ask for help. So here we go. I just recently got my DSL set up on my computer and wouldn’t ya know something had to not work correctly. I’m running Win 7 home premium. My Ethernet driver is a Realtek PCIe FE Family controller. Here’s the challenge. Each morning when I boot my machine it doesn’t detect an internet connection, so consequently I have to uninstall the driver, reboot, the driver then reinstalls and that for whatever reason allows the modem/router to establish a connection. What I’ve tried so far is to speak with my ISP technician (that’s where I was told about the uninstall driver trick). I’ve also gone to the computers manufacturers’ site to see if there were any driver updates and I’ve searched the Microsoft web site for solutions but to no avail. I do know that the router is working correctly because when I plug the Ethernet cable into an older machine I have that’s running Win XP home edition it connects immediately without a problem. So now with all that said does anyone out there have another suggestion I might try? Thanks, Ray
    Last edited by stringdoctor; 2012-07-11 at 12:24.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    So now with all that said does anyone out there have another suggestion I might try?
    Ray,
    Hello... Have you looked into your "Security" preventing the program from running at startup? You can check also WhatInStartup Free program Also have a look at "System Configuration" "Startup" and "Services" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-11 at 12:47.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    I can see no issues with my security ie. firewall/antivirus. I'm at a bit of a loss when you mentioned "system configuration" "startup" and "services" where exactly do I find these? Are they located in control panel? and if so what should I be looking for?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    you mentioned "system configuration" "startup" and "services" where exactly do I find these? Are they located in control panel? and if so what should I be looking for?
    Ray,
    Hello... I mentioned Security because at times it will prevent things from starting (permission thing) ...As far as the other question... Administrative Tools>System Configuration>Services...and Startup...See Screen Shot Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-11 at 13:57.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Did you try right clicking on the Network Icon in the system tray and select Troubleshoot Problems?
    Also, look in the Event Viewer to see if there are any related errors.
    When you don't get a connection, type
    Cmd and then the Enter key
    Then type IPconfig and the Enter key
    What do you get?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, as per Administrative Tools>System Configuration>Services...and Startup. (Services) - all boxes are checked however some are running others are stopped. (Startup) - all boxes are checked. I noticed in your screen shot of the "General" tab that the two boxes in selective startup are showing a fill not a check. Mine however are showing a check. Does that matter? In "Administrative tools>Services I'm not sure what to look for that may pertain to my issue. Still scratching my head??

Jerry, The event viewer shows no errors within the timeline of this occurrence. The troubleshooter doesn't detect anything. When I go to device manager and check the network driver it states "This device is working properly" Still scratching my head still??

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine however are showing a check. Does that matter? In "Administrative tools>Services I'm not sure what to look for that may pertain to my issue. Still scratching my head??
    Ray,
    Hello.... Not sure about the "Check" of "Fill" don't think it would matter.. In Administrative Tools> Services... Look for anything that is associated with your driver (Realtek) and make sure it's set to "Automatic" One other thing is when you load your driver ..right click on it, and select Properties>Security Tab.... Make sure that you have "Full Control " and run it as an "Administrator" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-12 at 16:31.
    PlainFred

Thanks

Check IP address

StringDoctor,
    Resolution 1 of 2
    Make sure your puter is being assigned an IP adress by:
    1. Right clicking Network icon in notification area>Open Network and sharing Center OR Start>Control Panel>View Network Staus and Tasks.
    2. Click local area connection
    Network Connection.jpg
    3. Click Details
    Local Area Connection.jpg
    4. See if DHCP is enabled and IPv4 Address has an IP address
    Connection Details.jpg
    5. If not enabled and No IP adress assigne, we must turn on "Automatically Assign IP Adress". Close the Network Connections Deatails Window. From the Local Area Connection Staus window click properties
    6. On the network tab, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (Tcp/IPv4) then click properties
    Properties.jpg
    7. Enable the radio buttons "Obtain an IP adress automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Click OK then backout to desktop. If you were not assigned an IP address previously, it should acquire one now.

see next post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Resolution 2:

in Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>Click Lan Settings>Make sure "Automatically detect settings" is ticked. Backout and try to surf.

HTH
    Maud

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If all else fails, go to your local computer store (or go online to newegg.com) and buy a network card (NIC) with the usual ethernet jack for around $7.99 - $14.99 and install it in your computer. Plug in your ethernet cable and see if it works !