5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why some temporary files simply won't go away

LANGALIST PLUS

Why some temporary files simply won't go away

By Fred Langa

Windows collects lots of temporary files that can, over time, consume large amounts of disk space and slow system performance. But even when you're diligent about cleaning them out, some temporary files resist removal and for good reasons.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/why-some-temporary-files-simply-won-t-go-away/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks

Cleaning Windows

CCleaner does tell you exactly how much space the junk it will clean is taking up, then reports on how much space was actually recovered after cleaning.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Fred's advice in this article about backing up EVERY drive (to another drive or to Internet storage) that has valuable data. But I disagree with his recommendation to avoid RAID. I recommend, and use, RAID 0 for performance reasons. RAID 0 provides no redundancy and actually increases chances of losing data, since the loss of a single drive will render all data on all RAID 0 disks unusable. The advantage is considerably faster writes and reads. I've been running a 3-disk RAID 0 for several years with no problems, but I also backup that disk to external single-disk hard drives once a week.

With clock speeds stagnant, memory cheap and abundant, and multi-core CPUs common, the last place to speed things up is the disk system. The C: drive can use a smallish (128GB) solid-state drive fairly cheaply, but for large and fast storage you need RAID 0 or a variant.

New Lounger
    Thanks

here's another great App

for removing Temp Files that I don't hear often enough in WindowsSecrets even though I've been using it since April of 2009. It's called TempCleaner and its website is www.addpcs.com. The truly nice thing about this app with regards to removing temporary files is this: it hits every Profile on the computer it cleans AND it's a standalone executable. No installation necessary so it can be run from a Thumb drive. The size of this program is all of 1.02 MB. The only caveat - one must have Java running on the computer for it to work.

Repair scams move to a new venue: Skype

I took note of what reader
    Allan Wallace said he uses to keep Viruses and Malware at bay on his computer. Besides MalwareBytes, he also mentioned Avast! Ironically, this past month I cleaned up an HP laptop that belongs to a waitress at the local greasy spoon I frequent on weekends. It was badly infected with Malware and Trojans and even a Rootkit, 16 items in all. Even the Win7 firewall was badly damaged and knocked out of commission. The AV platform on the machine: Avast! And when she went to click "Clean" instead IE opened and requested a credit card number. This was Avast!'s website TOO! Seems the program (which was the Free version like Mr. Wallace is using) would download the latest virus def's, install them and then if it caught anything, it wanted you to buy the paid version to fix the infection.
    Are you aware that this is all the FREE version of Avast! will do? Or did one of the pieces of Malware that got onto this laptop do something to the Avast! program. Can't believe an AV company would stoop to something like this?!?!?!?!

Tim Kirschbaum
    fixin' systems since 1979

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbomb View Post
    for removing Temp Files that I don't hear often enough in WindowsSecrets even though I've been using it since April of 2009. It's called TempCleaner and its website is www.addpcs.com. The truly nice thing about this app with regards to removing temporary files is this: it hits every Profile on the computer it cleans AND it's a standalone executable. No installation necessary so it can be run from a Thumb drive. The size of this program is all of 1.02 MB. The only caveat - one must have Java running on the computer for it to work.

Repair scams move to a new venue: Skype

I took note of what reader
    Allan Wallace said he uses to keep Viruses and Malware at bay on his computer. Besides MalwareBytes, he also mentioned Avast! Ironically, this past month I cleaned up an HP laptop that belongs to a waitress at the local greasy spoon I frequent on weekends. It was badly infected with Malware and Trojans and even a Rootkit, 16 items in all. Even the Win7 firewall was badly damaged and knocked out of commission. The AV platform on the machine: Avast! And when she went to click "Clean" instead IE opened and requested a credit card number. This was Avast!'s website TOO! Seems the program (which was the Free version like Mr. Wallace is using) would download the latest virus def's, install them and then if it caught anything, it wanted you to buy the paid version to fix the infection.
    Are you aware that this is all the FREE version of Avast! will do? Or did one of the pieces of Malware that got onto this laptop do something to the Avast! program. Can't believe an AV company would stoop to something like this?!?!?!?!

Tim Kirschbaum
    fixin' systems since 1979
    Please post the exact web address from which you downloaded Avast Free. I think you were fooled into downloading it from an imposter web site, or else you clicked on the popup ad for the Pro "Free Trial" at the Avast web site. There are several Avast imposter sites out there. The real Avast Free does no such thing as you described. The correct download site is:

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Don't download directly from Avast's own web site, as they try to trick you into subscribing to a "free trial" of their Pro product. The Pro product will work for 30 days, then demand payment before working any further. And it may not include free removal. But that is the Pro Free Trial, not the official download site for the Free Version. CNet downloads handles all legitimate Avast Free downloads now.
    -- Bob Primak --