Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question PrintScreen: not working as expected in Windows 7. Workaround?

Has anyone had problems using PrintScreen in Wiindows 7? I can do PrintScreen and paste the image into a Word document. But, I can no longer copy it from the Word document and paste it into either Windows Live Mail 2011 or Windows Mail (I have both working with Windows 7). I can do "Paste" but I get a blank page. If I move the cursor over the area where I "pasted," the cursor shows the crossbars which indicate something's there, it's just invisible to me. If I attempt to highlight it the area where it should be shows as blue, which means something's there. But beneath the highlight it's just plain white.

I know you can't do printscreen and paste the image directly into the body of the email. You couldn't do that with Outlook Express and Windows XP either. The way it worked then was to first paste the image to a word document. Then select the image on the word document page, copy it, and paste it right into the body of the email. Now, with Windows 7, that second step no longer works. I have to save the word document and then attach it to the email, is a useless waste of disk space (I know I can delete it, but save-attach-delete is annoying).

Does anyone have a workaround so that I can once again do PrintScreen, paste to a blank Word Doc and then copy/paste to the body of an email?

I didn't know whether to post this under email or Windows 7 but figured that it seems like more of a Windows 7 issue than an email issue.

Kelliann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    I don't think this is a Windows 7 issue. I can paste an image into Outlook, no issues.

Instead of using PrintScreen, have you ever thought of using the Snipping Tool (you can find it All Programs -> Accessories)? You can select what to capture, then copy it and paste it anywhere. I can paste it directly in Outlook without issues - with my default message text format, which is HTML.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-07-11)

Thanks
    Have you tried PrtSc, paste to Paint, then save the image as a .jpg or .png image and pasting that image to the word document. I realize this seems a long way around, but unless something else crops up it might work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-07-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib - thank you! I just tried the snipping tool and it worked - I pasted what I outlined with the cursor into the body of a Windows Live Mail.

Played with the highlight and the pen, too. I didn't realize that existed.

Kelliann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Ruirib - thank you! I just tried the snipping tool and it worked - I pasted what I outlined with the cursor into the body of a Windows Live Mail.

Played with the highlight and the pen, too. I didn't realize that existed.

Kelliann
    Another tool to add to your arsenal, then. I am glad it worked .

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted -
    I hadn't thought of how to turn it into a jpeg. Well, I *vaguely* thought of it but didn't get as far as thinking about exactly how to do it! <g>. I will keep Paint in mind for that conversion.

Kelliann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Another tool to add to your arsenal, then. I am glad it worked .
    I was just sitting here wondering whether they took that copy/paste function away in order to make us use their new snipping tool. Hope they are not planning to take away our clipboard and make us use an app for copy/pastes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I was just sitting here wondering whether they took that copy/paste function away in order to make us use their new snipping tool. Hope they are not planning to take away our clipboard and make us use an app for copy/pastes.
    No, they didn't. This tool was initially offered with XP Tablet Edition (where I first used it and found it very useful) and then it was integrated with mainstream versions in Vista and was kept in Windows 7. The clipboard has worked normally in all these versions. Actually, you use the tool and need to choose copy, to add whatever was captured to the clipboard, and then you can paste it anywhere. So the clipboard is actually very much needed if you don't want to go through the intermediate step of saving whatever you may have captured to a jpeg file (which you can also do from the tool).

Thanks
    Print Screen then paste into Windows Live Mail 2012 new message worked for me using Windows 7.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    No, they didn't. This tool was initially offered with XP Tablet Edition (where I first used it and found it very useful) and then it was integrated with mainstream versions in Vista and was kept in Windows 7. The clipboard has worked normally in all these versions. Actually, you use the tool and need to choose copy, to add whatever was captured to the clipboard, and then you can paste it anywhere. So the clipboard is actually very much needed if you don't want to go through the intermediate step of saving whatever you may have captured to a jpeg file (which you can also do from the tool).
    So when you choose copy and add what you captured to the clipboard, you are adding it as an image, not as editable text, right?

I didn't use Vista much. I got a new laptop with Vista and instead of using it, I stayed with the old laptop and XP. Once in a while when I needed extra browser tabs open beyond what the memory of the old one could handle, I'd use the newer one with Vista. Then I put Windows 7 on it eventually. I have a different version of windows 7 on the newest laptop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Print Screen then paste into Windows Live Mail 2012 new message worked for me using Windows 7.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry - In Windows 7 I have WLM 2011, and paste printscreen didn't work for me, either as a direct paste, or, by passing it through Word first. I didn't even know there was a WLM 2012. When did that come out? What does it do that 2011 doesn't do or doesn't do without a lot of aggravation?

Kelliann

Administrator
    Thanks
    So when you choose copy and add what you captured to the clipboard, you are adding it as an image, not as editable text, right?
    Yes, the captured screen is pasted as an image.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=ruirib;860660]Yes, the captured screen is pasted as an image.[/QUOTE

OK thanks. I like that snipping tool. I'm sorta greedy - I'd like to have print screen work the way it used to too. I'd like to have it ALL. <g>

Thanks
    OOps, I just checked and it is Windows Live Mail 2011, not 2012. But Print Screen/paste worked for me. Print Screen copies as an image as well. The main advantage the snipping tool has over Print Screen is that you can define what area of the screen you are copying. The only option you have with Print Screen is the whole screen or the active window with Alt Print Screen. So you don't lose anything with the snipping tool.

Jerry

Thanks
    It does appear there might be a beta WLM 2012, but I am not convinced of the download site so I am not posting it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast