3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AGGHH - MS are killing Sidebar!

I've just read an article on the web that says that MS will be patching Windows so that Sidebar will no longer run. This is terrible (for me).

I have the Vista version of Sidebar running - the one that resizes the screen so my gadgets stay visible no matter what I do. Within there, I have a clock, a clender, CPU and network useage monitors and an app launcher. I have found NOTHING else which can do this and I find it so useful and productive to be able to
    • Check the time quickly (I like the instant response that an analogue clock brings)
    • Look at future dates for planning
    • See why my system is running slow (just a glance at the CPU, memory and network monitors and I can see why)
    • Quickly start another app (I generally have 10-20 apps/windows running at the same time - the app launcher has my 20 most commonly used programs).
    All this is available no matter what windows I have open because the WHOLE Sidebar stays on top - and windows are sized so that maximised won't overwrite anything.

Does the team have any suggestion for how I can keep being this productive without my beloved Sidebar?

cheers

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The killing of the sidebar seems to be a temporary security measure, implemented as Fixit (read the security advisory here). The advisory talks about attacks through insecure gadgets. You can always try to find out who created the gadgets you use and "decide" that they are reliable enough to keep running them.
    Probably some gadgets are from Microsoft. You likely can keep those without issues. If you have gadgets from other sources, then you need to decide if they can be trusted or not.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-07-12 at 04:53.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    At a guess, the vulnerable gadgets in the sidebar which could be exploited are those that use external xml feeds. News, weather, sports, etc. are the things I have in mind. Based on previous attack methods, I suspect that a malformed xml request could trigger the ability to run unauthorised code.

That's only a guess, but in your case, with only a clock, calendar, CPU and network monitor gadgets, I would find it difficult to see how the bad guys could get in - there is (or should be) no data coming from outside.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. So, as long as I don't run "fixit disable" and as long as MS don't come out with a security patch which my company (HP) force on me, I should be OK. Even if they do, I should be able to undo it with "fixit enable"

regards

Alan