Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruibib,
    I've done one of these about 4 years ago. At you desktop, put in Win 7 os disk, move on after it loads windows files, and "do a repair install".
    Does a repair install "really" leave your other settings and programs alone? Every Fri evening I do a clone to a second drive for safety. About once a month
    I let windows do a "image" to a usb backup drive. Me thinks this weekend, I'll make sure my clone is identical in real time and I will do the repair install. IF by some stroke
    of misfortune it screws with my other programs, I always have the clone to boot from. Thanks so much and I'll let you know.
    Have a blessed one.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Repair install leaves your programs and settings alone. As I said, I did it a few months back and I have a huge setup. Cloning before is a good thing. The link I posted has full instructions on how to do a repair install. Please have a look at it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cthiggin (2012-07-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    THANK you so very very much. As I said, I'll do this this weekend and report back.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Please do, Tom. I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly the same problems here since a couple of days: FF, IE9 and Chrome don't open (sometime the Chrome browser window popup for few milliseconds).

The network connection is working fine:
    - I can update the system (W7 64bit)
    - I can use my email client
    - I can browse Internet pages using Eclipse and its embedded browser views (it's a developer IDE)

In order to verify if my FF, IE9 and Chrome installations are corrupted I have created a new account on my pc and everything is working fine, I mean all browsers opens and I can surf with all of them.

My assumption is that something in the user profile folder is corrupted/damaged/... but I don't know what and I don't know what to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib -
    I think dgtale is on to something. Maybe a little "rethink" here.
    I "enabled" My Guest account and IE64 opened like a dream. I logged off and went back to my regular account and IE64 has opened fine. This is the first time, so I'll watch and try to log on a lot to see if it's now working. Go figure.
    THANKS dgtale for the tip - Hopefully, yours will straighten up. Geeze, I love my pc.
    Guys, have a most blessed day. I'll report back this evening.
    Tom

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SOLVED !!!

I have installed www.malwarebytes.org software and this was the result of the scan:

C:\ProgramData\Windows\msseedir.dll (Trojan.FakeMS) -> No action taken.
    C:\ProgramData\Windows\ccdxmmde.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
    C:\ProgramData\Windows\drss.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
    C:\ProgramData\Windows\xessmsxe.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

After the malware removal the system is working fine as before ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thank you, dgtale, for that insight.
    Tom, that seems a thing to try, for sure. I admit that I didn't think it could be malware, with no other visible signs of infection.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dgtale - GLAD it's solved.......amen brother!
    ruirib - like stated earlier, I use MS Essentials - I did an all-night deep scan with it and it found 2 "low risk" infections and removed them.
    I "also" updated malwarebytes.org (yesterday) and did a deep scan - it found 14 infections, - 2 were hi - rest low risk and removed them.
    This am, IE64 would still not open, but would open regsvrg32 instead.
    When I opened email with dgtales' reply on this thread, I logged off and activated "Guest Account" -logged on as "guest" and ie64 opened fine.
    And as stated, when I logged back on my regular acct, ie64 is "crossed fingers" working fine at this point. I will continue on and let you know.
    I am not going to do a repair install as we talked about.....unless ie64 starts to "not respond" again.
    THANKS and I'll let ya know.
    Tom

PS - Me thinks that one has to "REALLY" run the malware programs into DEEP SCAN MODE to be 100% effective.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have very strong ideas about malware protection programs. I don't believe in running just an AV app, as there are types of malware that won't be detected by AV apps. So I have, for quite a few years, used a HIPS, together with an AV. An HIPS has a good thing - when properly configured, won't let anything run without your knowledge, whether or not it has a behavior identified as risky. Just adds to the protection of the AV.

New Lounger
    Thanks

A generally good idea...

It is a generally good idea to keep a USB Key at hand that is used as an emergency lifesaver to be used in situations like this or worse. After going through
    standard litany when encountering a problem such as Check physical connections, Reboot, (possibly Restore), (Possibly run registration software such as
    PC Tools, you would then try your USB Lifesaver. Having apps on a USB allows you to use it when you may be having trouble running programs off the hard
    drive because of the problem encountered, such as a virus that disables systems programs.
    My recommendation is that the USB Key contains: Malwarebytes, rkill, HijackThis, FixNCR, and Bootable Windefender. One or a combination of them can really come in handy in a desperate moment before you try to mess with revamping your system or changing system settings.
    The Fixes are all available for free and they cost nothing to try. I do suggest running them in Safe Mode but some of them can get you out of a hole in
    Normal Mode and then allow you to go into Safe Mode to clean up and run your regular protection and registration programs.
    Perhaps the Moderator can suggest a few more apps to have on a lifesaver key? I wish this was a major tip to people in Windows secrets because it could
    save a lot of angst and deal with a lot of issues if just applied as a regular part of problem solving. I suspect it would reduce the problem threads requesting
    help a bit too.
    ( I would also add- Get rid of ALL tool bars except 1. They do not play well together and many of them carry riders. Having more than one increases the
    chance your browser will slow or act up. When you download a program read everything and avoid downloading new Tool bars). Good Luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Before you go to all the trouble of the repair reinstall, why don't you try Window Restore. If it doesn't show a restore point from before when this problem started, then click on Show More Restore Points and hopefully there will be one in there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Restore Points?

As you saw in the thread the problem is that there are no Restore points at all even in the Show more. The process I was explaining is for when that issue
    occurs as a possible fix. The USB E-Key apps tool is also usable in cases of root virus and takeover viruses. It is not not just a limited tool for Restore issues. Most folks do not use Windows Restore anymore than they have to! It can cause it's own set of issues. Far better to have and maintain your back ups
    although most don't.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suggest restoring your PC to an earlier time when things worked. Or atleast any recent updates that you got. Or try using a network and process monitor app to see if maybe other apps are 'stealing' your network.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    Well, it's been several days since the "fix" corrected the situation and it's still working great. So, whether it was malware/trogans /or/ corrupted Users - running a deep scan with Malware Bytes in Safe Mode / along / with logging on as a different user, then moving back to my main account - well, one or both of those actions "fixed" my individual problem.
    Good idea to have diagnostic tools on a flash drive. I'm going to do that.
    I did try a System Restore, back before the problem arose and it did not fix it.

Thanks to all of you, especially ruirib for helping and staying with me on this issue.
    Have a blessed one!
    Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast