Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE8/IE9/Firefox/Chrome: all are extremely slow

Hello folks,
    Problem. IE8 was extremely slow (for no apparent reason as it's been super fast for quite some time) - when you would click "any" link, it would take forever to load / or / would crash.
    What I've tried:
    1. Reset IE8, cleaned temps / cookies / reset / turned off all add-ons, to no avail.
    2. Installed IE9, same behavior - did the above reset etc., to no avail.
    3. D/L'd Chrome, Installed, Same behavior
    4. D/L'd Firefox, same behavior
    5. Google searches for problem and found nothing more than what I have done above.

I know it's not the connection as my other office computer, on same network/isp provider, is superfast, as this pc "was".
    I've defragged, restarted, well, everything I know to do.
    FWIW, its seems like something has changed in the registry with connections or whatever, as all 4 browsers are demonstrating the same behavior.

I would highly appreciate you expertise in helping me out of this problem.

Thanks so much and have a blessed day.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are the DNS settings for that computer the same as for the other computer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    I'm on wireless on this pc. Do I find those with dos prompt - ipconfig?
    Thanks my friend. Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Almost. You need to type ipconfig /all

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    Yes - just checked both and the DNS are identical. Just checked my wireless adapter and the TCP/IPv4 and v6 are checked to "Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    Thanks, Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have an Ethernet card on that computer. If so, can you try and connect it?
    My reasoning for this is simple - if you had no issues browsing through a wired connection, then the issue is with the wireless card or connection. If you have problems with the wired connection as well, then something else is causing it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I don't have an ethernet connection close - reason for wireless - and it would be a nightmare to move this pc to the other office that has the ethernet and cable modem - and I do understad your reasoning. I did go to my ISP and ran there Speed Test and d/l was an average of 12.93 mbps - upload was in the high "3's" - ping time was 24ms.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    So, you cannot browse at all from that computer. Do other network based apps work? Email, remote desktop, etc?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    Yes, I can browse. When I start IE9 (default - removed Firefox / Chrome) - it takes about 10 seconds to load my homepage. Favorites I have used for years, I'll click on one, maybe it will open ok, or just sit there and no open, or crash. So, browsing is an absolute hit/miss. I can access my other networked pc just fine, no lag, E-mail works great.
    Because of all the browsers were behaving identically, I just felt (FWIW) that something in the registry must have changed in the way of sockets or whatever.
    Thanks for your continued interest and help.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using any security apps that may affect browsing?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only MS Security Essentials.
    Thanks, Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    I feel we need to rule out the influence of the wireless network in the current situation. Do you have any other computer you could use to connect through the wireless network? If we don't limit the possible causes, I feel we are just grasping at straws and my first candidate would be the wireless network.

Is this a recent situation? Have you been able to use the wireless network before, without issues?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jquigley (2012-07-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib,
    My 2 Ipad2's are screaming along on the same wireless network. Have used the wireless network "beautifully" for over three years.
    This all started earlier this week when IE8 64 would not open - well, it would, but it opened regsvr32 in taskmanager. That problem was never fixed, even w/ the d/l of
    IE9, 64 bit. - Again, 'me thinks" there's something in the registry that's not right....again, "me thinks".
    Thanks, Tom

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cthiggin For This Useful Post:

jquigley (2012-07-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have experienced same problem

Was using Firefox and it stopped working, could not connect except to home page on Hughes Net. Switched to IE9, it too stopped working, switched to Chrome, same problem. Am now using Sea Monkey and it works just fine, have no problems except of course the it doesn't recognize RoboForm, but that is a minor problem at least I can browse the internet with no problem. My Thunderbird also works fine email downloads with no problems either.

Have tried everything I know to do including a deep scan using Advanced System Care 5. Malware scan too, nothing in the way of malware on my system.
    John Quigley

"Wish not so much to live long as to live well."
    --Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1746

Administrator
    Thanks
    To be honest, I don't know what to suggest. It's obvious something is wrong with Windows, since you're experience with the iPads and previously with the network indicate the network is not the cause.

If that was my computer, I would probably go for a Windows 7 repair install. This is a procedure to set back Windows 7 to a pristine state, while preserving all your programs and data. Even with this, a full system backup would be recommended.

Of course, this requires a Windows 7 DVD (with SP1 if you have it installed) and valid windows key (your current one is fine). An ISO for Windows 7 SP1 is available for download, if needed.

You can wait to see if something else is suggested by other users. The re-install process can be a bit lengthy, but works satisfactorily. I have done one myself on the computer where I am writing this from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast